domingo, 4 de junho de 2017

London terror attack: what we know so far

Seven people have died after a terrorist attack at London Bridge and Borough Market. Here is what we know so far

Sunday 4 June 2017 17.49 BST First published on Sunday 4 June 2017 00.28 BST

Seven people have been killed and dozens injured during attacks in two closely connected areas of London on Saturday night. The police are treating the attacks as terrorist incidents.
Police were called after a white rental van ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge at about 9.58pm on Saturday night. The van continued on to nearby Borough Market where three attackers emerged and carried out multiple stabbings in pubs and restaurants.
Armed police arrived and shot the attackers dead within 8 minutes of being alerted. The attackers were armed with knives and wore what turned out to be fake suicide vests.

Britain’s top anti-terrorism officer, Metropolitan police assistant commissioner Mark Rowley, said detectives are urgently investigating if the three perpetrators were part of network. He said: “Work is ongoing to understand more about [the three attackers], about their connections and about whether they were assisted or supported by anyone else.”
The Canadian prime minister, Justin Trudeau, said a Canadian national was among those killed in the attack.
A French man is among those killed in last night’s attack, the foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, has confirmed. Seven people from France were injured in last night’s attack, four of them critically. One person is still missing.
There were multiple casualties in addition to the deaths, with London Ambulance Service saying at least 48 people have been taken to five hospitals in the capital. The NHS said on Sunday that 21 were in a critical condition.
Eight armed police officers fired an estimated 50 rounds in the incident - an unprecedented number for the UK. One member of the public was caught in the gunfire when a bullet struck a man in the head. A senior doctor at the Royal London hospital in east London said the man was expected to make a full recovery.

A British Transport police officer armed only with his baton was stabbed in the face as he tackled the assailants. He suffered serious injuries, but is in a stable condition in hospital. An off-duty Metropolitan police officer was among others injured in the attack. Two more on-duty officers were described as “walking wounded”.
At least one Australian citizen has been injured, according to the prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, and there are reports of a second. Candice Hedge from Brisbane was stabbed in the neck and is recovering after being treated in St Thomas’s hospital. A man from New Zealand also suffered serious wounds in the attack. At least four French citizens were harmed, one seriously. Geoff Ho, a journalist with the Sunday Express, was left in intensive care after being stabbed in the throat when he tried to help a wounded bouncer.
The Met have arrested 12 people after an operation in Barking in east London. On Sunday morning, police raided a block of flats in the area where at least one of the suspects is thought to have lived. A forensic investigation is under way at that site. Another raid, at a flat in nearby East Ham, followed in the afternoon.

Speaking outside 10 Downing Street after she had chaired a meeting of Cobra, the government’s emergency committee, Theresa May condemned Islamist extremism and called the ideology a “perversion of Islam”. She said there was “a new trend in the threat we face” with terrorism breeding terrorism. “It is time to say enough is enough,” she added.
The prime minister said there must be changes on four fronts: first, people who are drawn to Islamist extremism must be persuaded that western values are superior. Second, there must be a clampdown on the “safe spaces” on the internet where terrorism breeds. Third, she called for action at home where extremism may be tolerated. “There is – to be frank – far too much tolerance of extremism in our country,” she said. Finally, she proposed a review of counter-terrorism strategy and laws, and suggested longer sentences for some offences. She confirmed that the general election will go ahead on Thursday as planned.
Jeremy Corbyn delivered a speech on the attack in Carlisle on Sunday evening. He said that, if he wins the election, he will commission a report on Friday on the changing nature of the terrorist threat. He also used the speech to criticise Theresa May for ignoring warnings about the impact of police cuts, as well as to criticise President Trump for his comments about the London Bridge attack.
Cressida Dick, the Met police commissioner, said police officers had conducted a thorough search of the area. She paid tribute to the police, emergency services and members of the public who came to the aid of the injured and confronted the attackers.

The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) at MI5 headquarters has recommended not to raise the official threat level from severe to critical, suggesting that they believe no more terrorists are at large.
The UK will observe a minute’s silence on Tuesday 6 June at 11am in remembrance of those who have lost their lives and all others affected by the attacks. Flags will remain at half-mast on Whitehall government buildings until Tuesday evening.
The Home Office has set up a website with information about the support available for people affected by the attacks.
Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation hospital said it had been put “on lockdown” to keep patients, relatives and staff safe.
A statement from the office of the French president, Emmanuel Macron, confirmed that French citizens were among the injured and condemned “an abominable and cowardly attack against our free society”.
Pictures have been circulating showing a suspect on the ground in the market; he appears to have canisters strapped to his body. Police say those canisters were part of a fake suicide vest. The use of fake bomb vests was designed to “spread panic and fear”, the prime minister said.
Authorities responded to a third incident, a stabbing at Vauxhall, but this was not connected to the events around London Bridge.

Labour, the Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats and the SNP have suspended national campaigning for the general election. Ukip, however, has not. Its leader, Paul Nuttall, said it was because “this is precisely what the extremists would want us to do”.

Donald Trump lashes out at Sadiq Khan over London terror attacks
James Rothwell
4 JUNE 2017 • 3:24PM

President Trump has launched a scathing attack on Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, over his reaction to the attacks in Borough Market and on London Bridge.

"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!" Mr Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday afternoon.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!"
1:31 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  52,344 52,344 Retweets   124,909 124,909 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Mr Trump then observed that the incident in London has not triggered a debate on gun control, and that this was because the attackers were carrying knives and not firearms.

A few hours after sending the tweets, Mr Trump reportedly left the White House to play a round of golf.

 Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!
1:43 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  38,214 38,214 Retweets   121,348 121,348 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The president was referring to a statement by Mr Khan earlier this morning which said he was "grieving" for the victims and insisted that terrorists "would not win."

"Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There's no reason to be alarmed," Mr Khan said.

He went on to condemn the attack in the strongest possible terms and ask for people to remain vigilant.

Mr Trump's comments were instantly ridiculed on social media.

Police forensics investigators work on London Bridge and Borough Market
Police forensics investigators work on London Bridge and Borough Market
"Cheap, nasty and unbecoming of a national leader," said the Labour parliamentary candidate David Lammy.

Some Conservative politicians including Penny Mordaunt stood up for the Labour Mayor.

A spokesman for Mr Khan said: "The mayor is busy working with the police, emergency services and the Government to co-ordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack and provide leadership and reassurance to Londoners and visitors to our city.

"He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump's ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police - including armed officers - on the streets."

Nick Hurd @NickHurdUK
I am also guilty of tweeting approval of a Labour Mayor's excellent statement on behalf of Londoners …
1:28 PM - 4 Jun 2017

 Penny Mordaunt @PennyMordaunt
Here's what @SadiqKhan actually said. He is right to provide reassurance. I'm standing with resilient London & him.
3:00 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  725 725 Retweets   1,312 1,312 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

 David Lammy @DavidLammy
Cheap nasty & unbecoming of a national leader. Sort of thing that makes me want to quit politics on a day like this. Evil everywhere we look …
2:14 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  600 600 Retweets   1,484 1,484 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
 Mike P Williams @Mike_P_Williams
@realDonaldTrump I expect the rightwing bigots and Islamophobes to say shit like this but you're the presi-never mind.

 Mike P Williams @Mike_P_Williams
@realDonaldTrump How dare you attack our Mayor. Britain is meant to be your closest ally, but instead you're taking swipes on social media. Ridiculous.
1:51 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  2,592 2,592 Retweets   17,985 17,985 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

 Scott Simon @nprscottsimon
I'd urge all to see what @MayorofLondon said in full. It was the essence of London pluckiness & will aid his great city. …
1:54 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  195 195 Retweets   605 605 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

 Sam Baxter @SamJB92
Utterly horrid man. Wonder how he'd react if Theresa May put snarky tweets out during a mass shooting in the US? …
1:53 PM - 4 Jun 2017
  244 244 Retweets   533 533 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
It is not the first time a member of the Trump family has criticised the Mayor of London for his stance on security and terrorism.

Mr Khan gave an interview in September 2016 in which he said terror attacks were "part and parcel" of living in a major city.

He was referring to a bombing in New York and stressed the importance of cities being well prepared for such attacks.

But shortly after the Westminster attack, Donald Trump Junior, the president's son, posted a link on Twitter to the September 2016 interview with the caption: “You have to be kidding me?!”.

Sem comentários: