TRUMPWORLD
THE MY PILLOW GUY HAS HAD IT WITH FOX NEWS
Trump loyalist Mike Lindell says he’s pulling ads
after the network refused to air a spot advertising an online event that would
promote his election-fraud conspiracies
BY CALEB
ECARMA
JULY 30,
2021
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/07/mypillow-guy-mike-lindell-fox-news
My Pillow
founder Mike Lindell, who has stuck with Fox News amid controversies that drove
other advertisers away, has apparently had enough. “I am pulling all my ads of
MyPillow on Fox indefinitely and immediately. Shame on Fox,” Lindell said
Thursday during an appearance on his own livestream network. His exit isn’t due
to anything controversial Tucker Carlson said, but rather what he claims Fox
News won’t do. The right-wing pillow magnate, who has dedicated his post-2020
election life to trying to prove the fantasy that it was stolen from Donald
Trump, said the network “refused to run [a MyPillow] commercial for our
country,” prompting him to drop Fox altogether. (Dominion Voting Systems filed
a lawsuit against MyPillow and Lindell earlier this year after the CEO falsely
claimed that the company illegally tipped the election scales for Joe Biden.)
The Lindell
commercial that Fox News refused to air included an advertisement for an online
event that will be held in August, during which Lindell’s election conspiracy
theories will be further promoted. In a statement to Salon, Lindell said that
Fox News “denied the [cyber-symposium] ad, and they based it on ‘pending
litigation.’” In response, the company released a statement saying, “It’s
unfortunate Mr. Lindell has chosen to pause his commercial time on Fox News
given the level of success he’s experienced in building his brand through
advertising on the number one cable news network.” Fox News is currently
involved in defamation litigation from two voting companies, Dominion Voting
Systems and Smartmatic, after hosts on the network propagated false claims
about Biden’s “stolen election” over Biden. (In response, Fox News has claimed
that its hosts were within their free speech rights and only repeated the
election-fraud allegations made by Trump, rather than create them.)
As for
Lindell, he has also openly admitted that he no longer needs the
network—despite all that it has done to help build his pillow empire—because
his deranged election conspiracy theories now receive more than enough coverage
from left-leaning and mainstream journalists trying to debunk them. “Lindell
told me that if it weren’t for attacks by ‘the left’—by which he means
Politico, the Daily Beast, and, presumably, me—his message would never get out,
because Fox News ignores him,” the Atlantic’s Anne Applebaum wrote in a recent
profile. However, some of Fox’s most controversial programs, having lost more
mainstream advertisers following boycotts, ran Lindell’s ads. Media Matters
reported last year that Carlson‘s show aired 302 mins of MyPillow ads during a three-month
period, compared to 443 minutes for all other advertisers combined during that
span. Overall, Lindell told The Wall Street Journal that the company spent $19
million in 2021 and $50 million in 2020 on advertising on the network.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário