Fox News is ‘big corporate machine that destroys
people’, says fired producer
Abby Grossberg, who is suing over her firing, says she
was ‘bullied’ into avoiding fact-checks of Trump’s lies
Martin
Pengelly in New York
@MartinPengelly
Thu 30 Mar
2023 17.27 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/30/fox-news-abby-grossberg-producer-dominion-lawsuit
A former
Fox News producer suing the channel over her firing in relation to the $1.6bn
Dominion Voter Systems defamation case said she was “bullied, intimidated and
coerced” into avoiding fact-checks of Donald Trump’s lies about voter fraud in
the 2020 election.
The message
is part of a tranche of internal communications obtained by Dominion in its
$1.6bn defamation lawsuit against Fox.
Grossberg
was speaking in an interview to be broadcast in full on NBC Nightly News on
Thursday.
Asked why
she said in a deposition in the case, given while at Fox News it was not her
responsibility to fact-check whether what someone would say on air was true,
Grossberg said it felt “awful” to do so.
“It felt
terrible because I knew that I was bullied, intimidated and coerced into saying
that just to keep my job and stay at the company.”
She added:
“I made the decision to keep my job so that I could keep paying my bills. It seemed
like the safer decision for me at the time.”
Dominion
wants Grossberg to testify in court next month in Delaware, alongside senior
Fox executives including the 92-year-old owner, Rupert Murdoch, and his son
Lachlan Murdoch.
Filings
have revealed how Fox News executives and hosts did not believe Trump’s claims
of fraud in his defeat by Joe Biden but allowed hosts and guests to broadcast
them anyway.
Fox News
has accused Dominion of relying on “cherry-picked quotes without context to
generate headlines”.
Arguing
that it was broadcasting newsworthy allegations reasonable viewers would have
understood were not factual statements, the network has said: “The foundational
right to a free press is at stake, and we will continue to fiercely advocate
for the first amendment in protecting the role of news organisations to cover
the news.”
In response
to a request for comment about Grossberg’s claims, Fox News said: “The
assertion that Ms Grossberg was coached or intimidated into being dishonest
during her Dominion deposition is patently false.
“We will
continue to vigorously defend Fox against her unmeritorious legal claims, which
are riddled with false allegations against the network and our employees.”
A
spokesperson also said Grossberg had been advised she was not authorised to
disclose privileged information in her complaint against Fox News.
“We were
clear that if she violated our instructions, Fox would take appropriate action
including termination,” the spokesperson said.
Grossberg
was a booking producer for the Fox News host Maria Bartiromo, then moved to
work for Tucker Carlson. In her suit, she describes a misogynistic work culture
as well as alleged harassment, retaliation and scapegoating.
“They’re a
big corporate machine that destroys people,” she told NBC, adding: “I sat in
those meetings. I heard them laugh about tearing apart politicians. Now I know
that in those meetings they’re talking about me.”
She added:
“It takes a lot of courage, but it also feels really good and really validating
to be able to say this isn’t OK.”
.webp)
.jpg)
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário