Donald Trump huddles with advisers after initial
surprise of indictment
Trump said to be buoyed by favorable polling after
charges
Guardian
staff
Sun 2 Apr
2023 04.26 BST
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/01/donald-trump-mar-a-lago-events-suspended
Donald
Trump huddled with his closest advisers on Saturday at his Mar-a-Lago resort
over political strategy after being caught by surprise about the news that a
Manhattan grand jury had indicted him on criminal charges connected to hush
money payments to adult film star Stormy Daniels in 2016.
The former
president was buoyed, according to a source familiar with the matter, over new
post-indictment polls that placed him far ahead of his expected 2024 rival, the
Florida governor, Ron DeSantis, and other Republican primary challengers.
According
to a Yahoo news poll, Trump was beating DeSantis 57% to 31% in the one-to-one
contest, and was attracting majority support at 52% when pitted against a
wider, 10-candidate field including DeSantis at 21% and the UN ambassador in
the Trump administration, Nikki Haley.
Trump also
improved his lead over DeSantis in polling done for his campaign by McLaughlin
and Associates, which surveyed 1,000 likely 2024 general election voters and
found Trump beating DeSantis 63% to 30%, improving his lead from January when
Trump was at 52% and DeSantis at 40%.
The sharp
uptick in polling numbers – and a corresponding reversal by potential 2024
rivals trying to come to Trump’s defense over the indictment after previously
trying to distance themselves – was so sudden and marked that it took some of
Trump’s own advisers by surprise.
Trump took
the reluctance of his nearest rivals to directly confront him over the charges
as a sign that he remains the steadfast frontrunner for the Republican
nomination, the source said, and reinforced their difficulty in getting voters
to renounce him, while trying to be his successor.
The strongest
reflection of Trump’s durability with his core Maga base came in fundraising
numbers. The Trump campaign said on Friday that it had raised more than $4m in
the 24 hours after news of the indictment, and that more than 16,000 people
registered to volunteer for the campaign.
The case
centers on $130,000 that Trump paid to Daniels through Cohen in the final days
of the 2016 campaign. Trump later reimbursed Cohen with $35,000 checks using
his personal funds, which were recorded as legal expenses. Cohen pleaded guilty
in 2018 to federal crimes.
With the
charges under seal, it remains unclear what charges the district attorney Alvin
Bragg might seek against Trump, though some members of his legal team believe
the most likely scenario involves a base charge of falsifying business records
elevated to a felony.
An attorney
for Trump, Joe Tacopina, told NBC’s Today show that his client would not
consider taking a plea deal after becoming the first former president to be
criminally charged. “There’s no crime,” Tacopina argued.
Preparations
for the ex-president’s arraignment at Manhattan’s criminal courthouse at 100
Centre St have been under way for 10 days, with barriers being erected for
crowd control.
Indictments
and criminal trials scheduled for Tuesday at the same courthouse include:
burglary for taking paintings from a West Village townhouse; a thwarted
terrorist attack on a Jewish community; the illegal selling of firearms; murder
for an East Harlem hammer attack; murder and attempted murder for attacking
multiple homeless men; murder and criminal possession of a weapon for shooting
into a car in East Harlem; and a grand larceny case involving sim-card
swapping.
New York
police have issued a memo instructing all officers to wear their uniforms and
prepare for mobilization, according to local news reports. That came after
Bragg acknowledged in a memo to the DA’s 1,600 staff members that the office
had been receiving offensive and threatening phone calls and emails.
Bragg said
the safety of his staff remained a top priority, and he thanked them for
persevering in the face of “additional press attention and security around our
office”.
Trump will
not be handcuffed at his arraignment or subjected to a “perp walk”, and
discussions are still being held about whether his booking photo will be
publicly circulated. Trump reportedly “wants the mugshot out” because it could
harness donations to his presidential campaign.
.webp)
.jpg)
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário