LEGAL
‘Annoying’: Trump rivals hunker down for the
indictment primary
Trump’s indictment has his rivals and conservative
media rallying to his side.
Within a
matter of hours following Donald Trump’s indictment, his rivals and the
nation’s most influential, once-Trump-wary conservative news outlet, Fox News,
rallied to his defense. | Brandon Bell/Getty Images
By ADAM
WREN, NATALIE ALLISON and LISA KASHINSKY
03/31/2023
04:35 PM EDT
If there
was ever room for a Republican critical of Donald Trump in the 2024 GOP field,
it all but disappeared on Thursday night.
Within a
matter of hours following Trump’s indictment, his rivals and the nation’s most
influential, once-Trump-wary conservative news outlet, Fox News, rallied to his
defense. Even Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Trump’s most prominent Republican
opponent, came to heel, pledging to refuse any extradition request ahead of
what is expected to be Trump’s likely surrender next week.
By Friday
morning, even Trump’s most ardent detractors acknowledged how little ground
could be gained by siding against the party’s embattled former president.
“As bad as
it was for Trump, it was worse for DeSantis and everyone else,” said Mike
Madrid, the Republican strategist and co-founder of the anti-Trump Lincoln
Project. “It rallies the base—there’s this rally around the flag effect for
Trump. Second, probably most importantly, it just completely sucks the oxygen
out of the room.”
In a less
polarized political climate, an indictment from a grand jury targeting a
primary frontrunner would create an opening for another candidate, let alone an
indictment that remains under seal and its specifics unknown—never mind a
general election.
So far that
isn’t happening, even in a GOP increasingly obsessed with electability
following the loss of the White House in 2020 and disappointing midterm
elections in 2022.
Across the
field on Friday, GOP strategists said their candidates were hunkering down,
wish-casting the news away.
“This news
cycle will last days, not months,” said a senior adviser to a prospective
candidate granted anonymity to discuss their camp’s political calculus,
conceding the development does thrust Trump to the center of the primary.
“Annoying,”
carped another 2024 hopeful’s strategist, granted anonymity for the same
reason.. “We’ve already been talking about this for two weeks because Trump cried
wolf,” the strategist said.
A third
strategist working on a different potential GOP competitor’s campaign, also
granted anonymity to discuss the dynamics of the race, acknowledged there is no
way to beat Trump in the primary by cheering on the Manhattan prosecution. This
person likened the indictment Thursday to news last year of the Supreme Court
reaching a decision in the Dobbs case: “There was a big surprise when this came
down, but you’ve been lying in wait, expecting it for a little bit.”
The GOP’s
circling of the wagons is the surest sign yet that the coming months of the
primary will orbit solely around the party’s standard-bearer. Every court
proceeding, every new twist in the case will represent a litmus test other
candidates in the field will either pass or fail.
It also
underscores the narrowness of the path Trump’s opponents have to navigate:
While the Never Trump movement has always consisted of an ineffectual sliver of
the broader GOP—a sideshow to Trump’s main event— the movement hit rock bottom
Thursday.
From former
Vice President Mike Pence to Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, would-be Trump
challengers castigated Democratic Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s
decision to indict Trump. As Pence had it: “outrageous.” “Beyond belief,” Youngkin
tweeted. Even Ohio State Sen. Matt Dolan, the U.S. Senate candidate who had not
previously bowed to kiss Trump’s ring, called Bragg’s actions “politically
motivated.”
And former
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who vowed earlier this week to never back Trump
again and who appeared to be carving a lane for himself in the GOP primary as
Trump’s critic in chief, has been conspicuously silent since news of the
indictment broke.
New
Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu, who’s called for the party to move on from Trump
in 2024 but said he would still support him if he’s the nominee, wouldn’t
distance himself too much from the former president in an interview with
POLITICO last week. “You have to hold everyone to the rule of law,” Sununu
said, “but clearly there’s been some hesitation on whether they could really
find anybody guilty on this.”
Former New
Hampshire GOP Chair Fergus Cullen said, “Never blame a politician for acting
like a politician, whether you’re Chris Sununu or Nikki Haley or even Mike
Pence, you’re not trying to alienate the 75 percent of primary voters” who
still support Trump or remain open to him as the nominee. “Maybe someone would
have the decency to not defend [Trump], or point out that this is a behavior
that gives them concerns, but that’s asking a lot.”
Though the
Republican field is siding with Trump in the early days of the primary, it
doesn’t foreclose the possibility they will pivot when and if future criminal
cases are brought against him.
In a
previously booked interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Thursday evening, Pence
left perhaps the most wiggle room of any possible challenger in his response
about whether Trump, if convicted, should drop out of the race.
“It’s a
long way to that decision,” Pence said, “I promise to answer that question if
it approaches.”
Still, just
one likely, longshot GOP candidate so far, Asa Hutchinson, has said Trump’s
indictment should be disqualifying, evidence of a dearth of Republicans willing
to endure the attendant slings and arrows of attacking Trump first. Especially
not after the blowback DeSantis received by criticizing Trump on moral grounds,
saying at a press conference last week he didn’t “know what goes into paying
hush money to a porn star.”
The former
Arkansas governor, who has yet to show signs of gaining any traction with the
Republican electorate, said earlier this month Trump should drop out of the
presidential race if indicted. Hutchinson seems undeterred that his stance on
Trump is unpopular with the base: he has continued to prepare for an announcement
next month. On Wednesday, he called a Trump donor to seek a meeting ahead of
his planned campaign launch, according to a copy of the voicemail obtained by
POLITICO.
“There is
an opportunity for somebody who’s really good at this,” said Sarah Longwell,
the Republican political strategist and publisher of the Never-Trump Bulwark. “We
just don’t have that person.”
.jpg)

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário