SEE ALSO: "A NEW AMERICAN DILEMMA"
INTERVIEW
Glenn Loury: 'If the black community wants change, it
needs to look at itself'
White Americans are not responsible for everything that's
wrong in the African-American community, says Professor Glenn Loury. Continuing
to insist on racism stands in the way of real change.
Esma Linnemann 21
mei 2021, 18:04
Glenn Loury: 'It is ridiculous to say that the police
force in the US poses the greatest danger to the physical integrity of black
people.'
Glenn Loury (72) doesn't like to say it either. He likes
his people. And he's no longer that wise-nosed Harvard professor of the 1980s,
who judged so harshly the shortcomings of the African-American community.
But loury - a
professor of economics and social sciences at Brown University - still has to
say: "African-Americans still don't take enough responsibility for their
own community. That's what I thought at the time, and yes, I think so now.'
Furore made
Loury in the mid-1980s with his story of
pathological weaving errors in African-American culture; his criticism of the
lack of fathers involved, of the high level of violence and crime. That was the
real enemy within the community, coined
by Loury as the enemy within. But this
enemy was hardly. All attention was focused on the enemy
without: white racism in the US.
And now, to
Loury's great frustration, the arrows are once again, or still, aimed at white
Americans. They'd be to blame for all the problems. Since the death of George
Floyd, all attention has been focused on police brutality against
African-Americans. 'While it's ridiculous to say that the U.S. police force
poses the greatest danger to the physical integrity of black people. It's a
demagogic and explosive discourse.'
Loury shares his
sneering political analysis on his online program The Glenn Show. There, he
regularly argues with kindred spirit John
McWhorter- An African-American linguist at Columbia University.
Loury and McWhorter
call themselves the wokebusters
and fillet the anti-racist discourse of the Black Lives
Matter movement. Because yes, African-Americans are more likely to be
killed by the police in relation to their share of the population. But blacks
are also much more likely to be poor - and however unfair, being poor
attracts the cops. In addition, African-Americans are also
more likely to be criminal. Why,
Loury and McWhorter
wonder, doesn't anyone take these variables into the equation?'
In the video
"The fake narrative about police
and race," Loury raises his corona-sanded voice as he
talks about Maxine Waters, the California Congresswoman who roused a crowd of
protesters in early April to become "more aggressive" at a possible
acquittal of police officer Derek Chauvin.
Loury- furious: "I haven't read a critical note about her demagogic
incitement to violence anywhere - except in right-wing media."
A little over a
month later, the professor's voice sounds as hoarse as we talk about the
anti-racism debate in the United States via a Zoom connection. At his rhode island home, Loury is brooding
on a memoir about his life. 'I'm
thinking of the title: Changing My Mind. My son Glenn junior thinks it's a
stupid title, but I've changed my mind a lot.' The other day about Trump. 'At first I thought we should debate the
content of his ideas, not his person. But then came the 2020 election and Trump refused to acknowledge his defeat. The
person Trump turned out to be the danger
to our democracy that critics feared. I was wrong.'
Glenn Loury is the embodiment of the American dream: a
boy from poor South Chicago who has everything in him to reach the academic
top, but his girlfriend gets pregnant. An academic career seems to have been
stifled. Loury doesn't give up, he goes on night shifts as
an accountant in a printing company to support his family and takes classes at
a local college during the day. His lecturer urges him to sign up at a real
university: Northwestern University. There he emerges as a mathematical genius,
an elegant wizard with equations. A PhD at the prestigious MIT follows.
And then there's
the ultimate accroning to his intellectual efforts: Glenn Loury, 33, becomes the first black professor at
Harvard's economics faculty. 'I experienced that as a huge pressure, I was so
afraid of failing, falling through the cracks. I switched to Harvard Kennedy
School, a faculty focused on public administration, not long after. That's
where I really found my voice.'
That vote appears
remarkably conservative and was shaped by Detroit, the city he frequented when
he taught at the University of Michigan. Inthe 1980s, the motorcitywas in the
grip of crime and decay, white families were leaving en masse. Loury: 'A social
economist will rush to say: 'Detroit was the victim of globalisation, the car
industry could not compete with global competition, with all the social
consequences that entails.' But I also saw something else: a black community in
crisis.'
In 1984,
Professor Loury published A New American Dilemma, a polemical essay that swings
him to the inner circles of america's conservative elite. In it, Loury
argues that "social upheaps among poor blacks, lagging academic
performance, the disturbingly high rate of mutual crime and the alarming rise
of unmarried young mothers loom as the primary obstacles to progress."
You encountered a
lot of resistance with your analysis. During one of your speeches, Martin
Luther King's widow, Coretta Scott King, sat in the front crying.
'I think she felt
very disappointed. I was a Harvard professor, the face of a new generation, and
then I came up with this criticism. It was heresy to say that the
African-American community also had its own responsibility. I was a traitor in
their eyes. I was excluded, but actually I enjoyed being the bad boy.'
Elsewhere, you
did impress with your argument.
'Sure, I was
embraced and praised by a conservative white elite. In 1987, I was even
nominated to be the second man in the Department of Education in Reagan's second
term. I was on my way to becoming a kind of Clarence Thomas (African-American
Supreme Court justice, ed.).'
But things turned
out differently. Because Loury lived a
double life all along. 'I was proud tobe a codeswitcher; to hold my own on both Harvard and the
streets of deprived neighborhoods. I liked to smoke marijuana and became
addicted to coke and crack. I loved hitting on women on the street. Maybe I did
it to blow off steam, in my life at Harvard I was under a huge pressure. But I
did it anyway. There was an enemy within
Glenn, that's probably why I was so fierce.'
One of his
then-girlfriends sued Loury for domestic
violence after a violent argument ("I didn't violence that woman, but I
did treat her badly"). She withdrew her charges, but Loury
had to forgo the position. Not long after, he was arrested for drug
possession. 'Looking back, you might wonder if I really wanted that job. At
least I did everything I could to screw it up.'
Loury got off,
joined a church with his – forgiving – wife Linda (later he would resign and
declare himself an atheist). He threw himself into his original love:
microeconomy. It wasn't until 1995 that he published again on the subject of
race, in a milder tone and full of self-reflection. Loury
set his teeth into America's prison system, with the acclaimed book
Race, Incarceration and
American Values-noting that
African-Americans were disproportionately represented in a merciless, inhumane
prison system. Loury was back,
resurrected from the ashes as a moderate, progressive thinker.
But then, after
2010, came the police killings of African-Americans like Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown and Eric Garner. The Black Lives Matter movement gained steam and wrote
its political manifesto. The subject of race was back like never before, but
Loury was undepressed by the quality of
the arguments of these new generation of thinkers and protesters.
You returned to your stride?
'Yes, at its
core, I'm back to the same opinion I expressed in A New American Dilemma. This
anti-racism movement, too, pretends that the civil rights movement has not made
progress. But we had a black president for eight years. We have black
billionaires. We got Oprah Winfrey, we got LeBron James. Black athletes are gods in our
country. Hip-hop is currently the most dominant music movement in our culture.
Then there's a large African-American middle class, universities and big
corporations are all committed to diversity. I just don't believe that
inequality in the United States in 2021 is due to racism.'
The fact is that African-Americans are about 2.5 times
more likely to be killed by police than white Americans.
'Yes, but
African-Americans are also hugely disproportionately represented in the figures
of violent crime: from rape and armed robbery to murder. Take the murder rates:
about 15 thousand people are murdered every year, 8,000 of them are black
victims, and in 95 percent of cases the perpetrator is also black. Then the
analysis 'it's up to the police' simply falls short. There are just young, very
violent men who cause destruction and suffering with their gangs.'
On the other
hand, some people will argue that this violence is the result of racism. It is
the result of social structures destroyed by a history of slavery, followed by
racial segregation.
'And I agree with
that, of course it is: the culture of black lives in poor areas of America is
the product of a history that goes all the way back to slavery. My opinion is:
all these influences do not yet relieve you of your own responsibility to take
good care of your children, to take care of your own life. If we want change,
we have to look at ourselves.'
You argue that anti-racists with their charges give white
people power and instead "infantilize" black people. What do you mean
by that?
"Black
Lives Matter activists appeal to the
white majority: acknowledge your privileges, apologize. In doing so, they turn
the white American into moral agents- they can decide to do theright thing.
At the same time, poor black people are the product of history, willless
victims of their circumstances. I wish my community more autonomy to seal their
own fate and not depend on white Americans for justice.'
Given the
strained relationship between African-Americans and the police, isn't it
empathetic that people took to the streets en masse after the death of George
Floyd?
'Yes, and I don't
want to tell people how to feel. But in absolute numbers, far more white people
are still killed by the police than black people, and there is also a white
example for every George Floyd. Think of someone like Tony Timpa (a white, mentally unstable man who was
murdered by police officers, ed.).
'There's so much
interaction between cops and civilians every day, and when something terrible
happens to a person, like george floyd, people ignite in anger and take to the
streets - not just to demonstrate peacefully, but also to loot and destroy. I
was shocked by the crowds outside the courtroom demanding that Derek
Chauvin be sentenced. They intimidated
the jurors, they undermined due process.'
In The Glenn Show, you even agitate against the
progressive rebuke of voter suppression - Republicans who make it harder for
African-Americans to vote through legislation and rules. While: that seems to
be happening in Georgia at the moment, right?
'Some of the
legislative changes proposed by Republicans will affect African-American voters
more. But that's mostly nefarious partisan tactics from Republicans, focused on
winning - black communities are more likely to vote Democratic. This is not
about racist motives, for me that is an important difference.
'I don't think
some of these new demands are unreasonable. I don't know about your country,
but I don't think it's so strange that you have to identify yourself when you
vote. Nor is the answer to shout "racism" very loudly. Everyone
should get id, that makes life better for black Americans in other ways.'
Isn't this the Glenn Loury of yesteryear who enjoys being
the bad boy? What do you think is at stake?""
'I'm just not
optimistic about the direction of my country. There is a large group of voters
- not least poor white Americans - who feel completely alienated from the Black
Lives Matter discourse. The monster is
ultimately white identity politics. I'm afraid
social justice warriors
are overplaying their hand, resulting in anti-black sentiments.'
How do you think America should proceed if it's not along
identity lines?
'I like to refer
to my fellow economist Robert Reich, who calls for cognitive empathy. We must
learn to see the world through the eyes of another. You don't have to agree,
not at all! But there is so little understanding now, and that is difficult in
a country that hosts both Christian fundamentalists and liberals. The point is,
we have to live together. The way we talk about race now, the pro-race identity
politics, increases the alienation and distance from each other.'


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário