segunda-feira, 18 de maio de 2026

Trump Administration Live Updates: $1.8 Billion Fund Could Funnel Money to Trump Allies

 


Updated

May 18, 2026, 5:08 p.m. ET1 minute ago

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2026/05/18/us/trump-news

 

Trump Administration Live Updates: $1.8 Billion Fund Could Funnel Money to Trump Allies

 

What We’re Covering Today

Justice Department: The Justice Department said that it had created a $1.8 billion fund that could compensate supporters of President Trump who contend they were mistreated by Democratic administrations. The announcement came as part of a settlement with President Trump of his $10 billion lawsuit against the I.R.S. Read more ›

 

Hegseth Campaigns: Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth campaigned for a Republican House candidate in Kentucky, an extraordinary foray into partisan politics by a cabinet official that was part of a wide-reaching effort by Mr. Trump and his allies to oust Representative Thomas Massie. Read more ›

 

Middle East: Mr. Trump said he had authorized a new wave of attacks against Iran this week but that he was holding off after three Gulf leaders requested more time to negotiate a nuclear deal. Read more ›

 

Justice Department

 

May 18, 2026, 9:35 a.m. ET8 hours ago

Glenn Thrush Andrew Duehren and Alan Feuer Glenn Thrush and Andrew Duehren reported from Washington. Alan Feuer reported from New York.

 

Critics call the compensation plan a political slush fund bankrolled by taxpayer money.

 

The Trump administration announced on Monday the creation of a $1.8 billion fund to compensate those who claim they were targeted by the Biden Justice Department and Democrats, forging a pipeline to funnel taxpayer money to President Trump’s allies.

 

The highly unusual “anti-weaponization” fund — denounced by critics as a political slush fund — was unveiled just after Mr. Trump withdrew his lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service demanding at least $10 billion. It was an apparent effort to skirt oversight by the judge in the case who had expressed concern that the suit represented self-dealing between the president and a department run by his former defense lawyer, Todd Blanche.

 

The tandem moves amounted to an end-run that appeared to strip Judge Kathleen M. Williams, who had been overseeing the I.R.S. case in the Southern District of Florida, of her appointed role in approving a formal settlement agreement. By dismissing the case in its entirety, Mr. Trump was able to reach an agreement with his own appointees without risking the rebuke of an impartial and independent arbiter.

 

The cash value of the fund was set at $1.776 billion, a nod to the nation’s founding. The Justice Department added in its announcement that its creation was intended “to provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare,” though it offered few other details, including who might qualify.

 

In addition to withdrawing his suit against the I.R.S., Mr. Trump will also drop separate administrative claims. Those include his demand the government pay him $230 million for investigations into his 2016 campaign’s potential ties to Russia and into his handling of classified documents after he left office.

 

Mr. Trump, his two sons and his family business, who sued the I.R.S. together, would receive an apology but not be paid out of the new fund, officials said.

 

It remains unclear if the announcement represents a serious effort to disburse cash or a provocative distraction intended to provide the president with political cover as he retreats from a dubious lawsuit he was about to lose, or some combination of both.

 

Mr. Trump and the department’s leadership have repeatedly accused Democrats of weaponizing federal law enforcement against their enemies. They have yet to provide evidence of illegality, or political animus, in the two federal prosecutions of Mr. Trump or in investigations into his allies.

 

“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” Mr. Blanche said in a statement announcing the proposal.

 

He added, “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”

 

A memo signed by Mr. Blanche, just over one page in length, offered only the vaguest outline of how the fund will operate. It did not define “weaponization,” specify the process by which claims would be assessed or even enumerate the actual amount of money that would be distributed.

 

The amount specified in the department’s news release — with its symbolic value — “does not represent the value of any claim by plaintiffs, but rather is based on the projected valuation of future claimants’ claims,” Mr. Blanche wrote in his memo.

 

Money for the fund will come from a special, unlimited account available to the Justice Department for settling lawsuits. That pool of money gives the department the authority to make monetary settlements without needing approval from Congress. A group of five people, selected by Mr. Blanche, will oversee the operations of the fund, though Mr. Trump can fire its members at will. It will stop processing claims on Dec. 15, 2028, weeks before Mr. Trump leaves office.

 

Creation of the fund, which could be used to compensate Trump supporters who ransacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, is sure to please a president who has demanded not only retribution but recompense. But it could create major political problems for congressional Republicans already dealing with the political ballast of his unpopularity — and who will now be forced to say if they support or oppose allocating taxpayer cash to his allies at a time when many Americans are struggling economically.

 

“This is one of the single most corrupt acts in American history,” said Donald K. Sherman, president of the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a nonprofit legal watchdog group that has been critical of the administration.

 

Stacey Young, the founder of Justice Connection, a network of former department employees, said the fund fit a larger “pattern of corruption that is eroding D.O.J.’s integrity and Americans’ faith in the rule of law.”

 

Potential recipients were thrilled.

 

Mark McCloskey, a St. Louis-based lawyer best known for having brandished an AR-15-style rifle during a racial justice protest outside his home six years ago, had tried for nearly a year to get compensation from the government for about 430 Jan. 6 defendants but repeatedly ran into opposition from Mr. Blanche and others in the Justice Department.

 

But Mr. McCloskey hailed the announcement of the fund, saying that he would seek money from it for his current clients and that he expected more Jan. 6 rioters to come forward asking for payouts.

 

“I was somewhat skeptical at first because lots of things get said,” Mr. McCloskey said. “But it looks like this is a done deal. I’m really excited to see what they come up with.”

 

Judge Williams had been considering dismissing Mr. Trump’s I.R.S. suit on her own because he effectively controls both his personal lawyers bringing the complaint and the government lawyers who are supposed to respond to it. She had ordered the Justice Department, which has yet to make an appearance or filing in the case, and Mr. Trump’s lawyers to brief her by Wednesday to explain whether they were actually in opposition — or were colluding to achieve a mutually agreeable outcome.

 

In their filing on Monday, Mr. Trump’s lawyers said their dismissal meant that “no judicial analysis is appropriate” for the suit.

 

The substance of Mr. Trump’s suit stems from the leak of his tax returns to The New York Times in 2019. Mr. Trump, two of his sons and his family business argue that the I.R.S. should have done more to prevent a former contractor from leaking tax information to The Times and ProPublica.

 

While federal law allows for people to sue the I.R.S. when their tax information is leaked, legal experts saw clear flaws in Mr. Trump’s suit and said the Justice Department had defended other, similar cases brought by plaintiffs who were not the president.

 

Just minutes after Mr. Trump’s lawyers informed Judge Williams of their intention to dismiss the suit, 93 Democratic lawmakers filed court papers accusing the Justice Department of having “colluded” with Mr. Trump and asking the judge to throw out the case herself.

 

“Never in the history of the United States has a sitting president sought a monetary settlement from the government he leads — let alone sought many billions of dollars in taxpayer funds,” lawyers for the lawmakers wrote.

 

The filing by the lawmakers suggested how jarringly Mr. Trump’s move had short-circuited normal court business. The president’s lawyers essentially beat the lawmakers to the draw by dismissing the case on their own, hamstringing the lawmakers’ ability to stop a settlement from going through.

 

But lawyers for the lawmakers argued that judge still had the power not to accept the dismissal given its unusual nature. It is also possible to bring a separate lawsuit directly challenging the validity of the compensation fund, but it remains unclear who would have the legal standing to do so.

Live Updates: Jury Rejects Musk’s Claims Against OpenAI

 


 Live

Updated

May 18, 2026, 4:50 p.m. ET16 minutes ago

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2026/05/18/technology/openai-trial-verdict-altman-musk

 

Live Updates: Jury Rejects Musk’s Claims Against OpenAI

 

Elon Musk accused OpenAI of putting commercial gain over the public good, but jurors ruled that the statute of limitations had expired. Mr. Musk said he planned to appeal, skewering the decision and the judge on X.

 

Cade Metz

Mike Isaac

Updated

May 18, 2026, 4:47 p.m. ET19 minutes ago

Cade Metz and Mike Isaac Reporting from the courthouse

 

Here’s the latest.

A jury on Monday rejected Elon Musk’s lawsuit claiming that OpenAI, the artificial intelligence company he co-founded, had violated its original mission by putting commercial interests over the good of humanity.

 

The closely watched case had the potential to upend the fast-growing A.I. landscape. Mr. Musk accused OpenAI and its leaders, Sam Altman and Greg Brockman, of “stealing a charity” by attaching a commercial company to the start-up’s original nonprofit and taking billions of dollars in investments from Microsoft.

 

But the jury in Oakland, Calif., didn’t rule on the merits of the argument. Instead, it found that Mr. Musk did not bring his lawsuit until after the three-year statute of limitations expired, nullifying his claim. Mr. Musk filed his suit against the $730 billion artificial intelligence start-up in the summer of 2024, but the jury found that he was aware of the behavior discussed in his complaint against OpenAI as far back as 2021.

 

That means that the jury found that OpenAI; Mr. Altman, its chief executive; and Greg Brockman, its president, were not liable for the claims Mr. Musk brought against the company.

 

Mr. Musk said on X that he intended to appeal the decision, writing that “creating a precedent to loot charities is incredibly destructive to charitable giving in America.” He skewered the judge, Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers, calling her a “terrible activist Oakland judge” who “simply used the jury as a fig leaf.”

 

“She just handed out a free license to loot charities if you can keep the looting quiet for a few years!” he wrote.

 

Mr. Altman is now free to solidify his control of OpenAI, which appears headed toward one of the largest initial public offerings in history. The company also will be free to pursue a data center expansion plan that could cost hundreds of billions of dollars.

 

Mr. Musk had asked for $150 billion in damages and wanted Mr. Altman to be kicked off OpenAI’s board of directors. He also wanted to unwind a move that OpenAI made to become a for-profit company ahead of an initial public offering as early as this year.

 

(The New York Times has sued OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of news content related to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied the suit’s claims.)

 

Here’s what else to know:

 

OpenAI reaction: In the hallway outside the courtroom, lawyers for OpenAI hugged and congratulated one another with big slaps on the back. William Savitt, OpenAI’s lead counsel, said outside the courthouse that he was “delighted” by the verdict. “I can’t say whether Mr. Musk will appeal, but we are very, very confident in our case,” he said.

 

Microsoft not liable: The jury’s decision means that Microsoft, OpenAI’s chief partner and another defendant in the case, is also not liable for Mr. Musk’s claims. His suit accused Microsoft of aiding and abetting OpenAI in breaching its founding agreement. In a statement, Microsoft said, “The facts and the timeline in this case have long been clear and we welcome the jury’s decision to dismiss these claims as untimely.”

 

Remaining claims: Some of the claims made in Mr. Musk’s suit still remain. The suit also made antitrust claims against Microsoft and OpenAI, and these were slated for a potential second stage of the trial. Judge Gonzalez Rogers said on Monday that the antitrust claims were “not very good claims” given the aggressive competition in the A.I. market, but she has not dismissed them.

 

OpenAI’s future: The company still faces plenty of threats. Anthropic has aggressively challenged it for business customers interested in using A.I. in their computer systems, and Google has been closing the gap in consumer use of the technology. It is also unclear if Mr. Altman’s credibility has been harmed by days of testimony in which Mr. Musk’s lawyers portrayed him as untrustworthy.

 

Natallie Rocha contributed reporting.

 

Ebola outbreak could be getting out control amid aid cuts, says frontline doctor

Britain: A Wealthy Capital and a Forgotten Nation

Trump 'spending more time talking about ballrooms' than Iran: Economist

Thomas Massie SMEARED By GOP Establishment; MAGA Is With Him! Robby Soave | RISING

Trump BASHES Bill Cassidy for impeachment VOTE after Senate primary DEFEAT | RISING