Top A.I.
Leaders Call for Slowing Down A.I. Development
In an
essay, the head of Anthropic laid out the rapidly advancing capabilities of
artificial intelligence and said there needed to be greater safety controls
across the industry.
Mike
Isaac
By Mike
Isaac
Mike
Isaac covers Silicon Valley and artificial intelligence companies from San
Francisco.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/12/technology/anthropic-dario-amodei-ai-slowdown.html
Sept. 12,
2026
Updated
8:15 p.m. ET
Dario
Amodei, the chief executive of Anthropic, called for a global slowdown of
artificial intelligence development in a 3,800-word essay on Saturday, just
days after one of the company’s employees quit over concerns about the safety
of the technology.
Top
executives of other major A.I. companies quickly signed on to the effort. Sam
Altman, the chief executive of OpenAI; Elon Musk, whose SpaceX rocket company
has been ramping up spending on A.I.; and Demis Hassabis, the chair of Google
DeepMind, wrote in social media posts that they agreed on the need for a slower
pace.
Mr.
Amodei, who co-founded Anthropic to focus on securely and carefully building
A.I., wrote in his essay that while he believed the technology could bring many
benefits, it was advancing at too rapid a pace for researchers to continue
safely.
“Over the
last few months, I have become convinced that fully addressing the risks
requires even more prudence — not just investing in risk prevention, but pacing
the rate of capabilities advancement so that risk prevention has time to keep
up,” Mr. Amodei wrote. “We must slow the pace at which we improve the
capabilities of A.I. models. Progress will still seem fast, and we must make
wise use of the time we gain.”
Mr.
Amodei has warned about the safety risks of A.I. for years. But his essay
amounted to one of the most full-throated calls for urgent action from a
leading A.I. company executive to date.
He called
for independent auditors to check the companies for safety standards and urged
global cooperation in creating rules around A.I. development.
The
appeal for an industrywide pause follows months of escalating concerns across
the technology industry as A.I. model development has made significant strides
at companies like Anthropic, the developer of the Claude chatbot, as well as
OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, and Google’s DeepMind.
Tensions
rose further after the leading A.I. labs discovered security breaches carried
out by their own programs without their knowledge. In one incident this year,
OpenAI’s systems breached an A.I. start-up called HuggingFace, which was not
detected until HuggingFace informed OpenAI weeks after it had happened. Since
then, A.I. researchers have conferred to discuss what to do.
On
Tuesday, Jacob Coxon, an Anthropic researcher, resigned and posted a series of
social media posts about how the leading A.I. labs were not responsibly
developing the technology and were gambling with people’s lives, setting off a
furor. Other A.I. researchers have called on their leaders to pause A.I.
development, while some are forming splinter groups to raise more awareness
about the risks of A.I.
A.I.
leaders are girding themselves for a day when an A.I. system can rely on itself
to grow more advanced rather than requiring the aid of human researchers. This
dynamic, which computer scientists call “recursive self improvement,” is what
some top A.I. developers believe may lead to the software spinning out of their
control.
“Left
unchecked, it could outrun our ability to understand and control these systems,
and so must be pursued very carefully, if at all,” Mr. Amodei said.
Hours
after Mr. Amodei published his essay, Mr. Altman posted a statement to social
media agreeing that a slowdown of A.I. development was necessary.
“This has
been a primary topic of discussions we’ve had at OpenAI in recent weeks,” Mr.
Altman wrote. “Committing to having independent evaluators with employee-like
access is a great idea, and we will do the same. We’ll have more to share
soon.”
Mr. Musk,
in a post on his social media platform X, said simply, “Dario is right.”
On
Saturday evening, Mr. Hassabis said Mr. Amodei’s essay was a step in the right
direction. “The details need working through, but the direction is correct for
meeting this critical moment,” Mr. Hassabis posted on social media.
For
years, many of the top A.I. labs have been locked in bitter competition with
one another. But as these systems have advanced, there has been some broader
agreement among executives at rival companies that something needs be done.
Last
month, as OpenAI prepared to release an advanced A.I. model called Astra, the
company said it had intentionally slowed down its pace of development, citing
advancements in cybersecurity capabilities. In July, Google’s Mr. Hassabis
published an open framework for what he believed would be a safe way to
cooperatively develop next-generation A.I.
(The New
York Times has sued OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of
news content related to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied those
claims.)
There are
few rules on A.I. development, though President Trump signed an executive order
in June asking for A.I. labs to voluntarily submit their models for review
before public release.
In his
essay on Saturday, Mr. Amodei suggested actions that the industry might take to
slow the pace of development.
Mr.
Amodei said that all A.I. labs could agree to third-party technology
assessments from “embedded evaluators,” or outside specialists who could verify
best safety practices across companies. He also suggested that countries with
democratic governance systems coordinate to create safety standards, which
could take the form of regulatory action.
He added
that it would probably require a global effort working with other nations,
including authoritarian ones, to properly coordinate a slowdown.
Not
everyone in Silicon Valley believes that Mr. Amodei’s intentions are purely
altruistic. Some critics have said that Anthropic and OpenAI are looking to
cement their position as A.I. market leaders by stoking fear and asking the
federal government to create regulatory frameworks that would make it more
difficult for smaller companies to compete with them.
At a tech
conference in San Francisco this past week, Jensen Huang, the chief executive
of the A.I. chip maker Nvidia, said that A.I. labs were ratcheting up security
concerns because they planned to introduce new cybersecurity products.
“What
better way to create demand than to create a problem?” Mr. Huang said at the
event. “Who doesn’t want their market to be hysterical about their product and
line up around the corner for it?”
On
Saturday, shortly after Mr. Amodei published his essay, Clément DeLangue, the
chief executive of HuggingFace, said in a social media post that it was
imperative that A.I. safety issues not “be solved behind the closed doors of a
handful of frontier labs.” Nvidia agreed to buy HuggingFace this month for
$12.9 billion.
In his
essay, Mr. Amodei stressed that he still finds A.I. capable of bringing
“incredible benefits” to humanity, including potentially curing diseases and
accelerating economic growth. But even so, he said the risks of A.I. were too
great to not proceed with extreme caution.
“The
measures I propose to advance the frontier at a safe pace will not be easy,”
Mr. Amodei wrote. “But I believe we owe it to humanity to try.”
Mike
Isaac is The Times’s Silicon Valley correspondent, based in San Francisco. He
covers the world’s most consequential tech companies, and how they shape
culture both online and offline.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário