Inside
the Snowballing Conversations at A.I. Companies About a Doomsday
Researchers
at Anthropic, OpenAI, Meta and Google are increasingly trying to raise
awareness about the risks of artificial intelligence.
A
demonstration of Anthropic’s Claude Cowork A.I. agent in May. The company’s
employees have been talking about the risks of artificial intelligence after a
colleague, citing dangers, resigned this week.Credit...Jason Henry for The New
York Times
By Mike Isaac and Kate Conger
Reporting
from San Francisco
Sept. 12,
2026Updated 6:57 p.m. ET
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/12/technology/doomsday-discussions-ai-companies.html
When
Jacob Coxon, an Anthropic researcher, publicly quit the artificial intelligence
start-up this week, citing
his concerns over the powerful technology, the internal messages began
flying.
“It’s
what we’ve all been saying,” one Anthropic employee wrote about Mr.
Coxon’s comments, in a group chat among workers that was viewed by The New
York Times. “It’s just public-facing now.”
“Jacob
took the group chat public,” another employee wrote. “That’s a good thing.”
The
reactions inside Anthropic were echoed by A.I. researchers at OpenAI, Meta and
Google, who parsed Mr. Coxon’s social media posts that described how OpenAI and
Anthropic were “gambling with our lives” with the technology. Many convened in
office messaging channels, encrypted chats and private dinners, with the goal
of organizing to raise awareness about the risks of A.I., according to a dozen
employees across the companies.
For those
who have made A.I. their life’s work, Mr. Coxon’s message was not new. But his
comments snowballed into such a global conversation that many saw it as a
moment to call for increased caution. Some A.I. workers are now speaking up to
top executives to urge a pause in developing the fast-evolving technology until
it has the proper safeguards, six of the people said.
The
conversations underline the tensions within the leading A.I. labs over the
safest ways to develop the technology. Even as employees become emboldened to
call for a slowdown in A.I. development, companies like Anthropic and OpenAI
are juggling priorities.
Both are
planning blockbuster
initial public offerings within the next year. The companies are also
fearful they could face antitrust concerns if they agreed among themselves to
take a breather in A.I. development, two people with knowledge of the matter
said. And Chinese start-ups have produced competitive
A.I. models, raising the possibility that U.S. companies would fall behind
if they slowed down.
That has
created a tricky situation for top A.I. executives, many of whom agree that the
technology poses risks. Sam Altman, the chief executive of OpenAI, wrote in a
2023 blog post that A.I. could “cause grievous harm to the
world.” Dario Amodei, the chief executive of Anthropic, wrote in an opinion
column last year that A.I. should be regulated to control the risks.
Sam
Altman, left, the chief executive of OpenAI, and Dario Amodei, the chief
executive of Anthropic. Both have talked about A.I.’s risks.Credit...Sean
Rayford/Getty Images, Thea Traff for The New York Times
In an
employee meeting this week, Mr. Altman said OpenAI was willing to decelerate
development alongside rival labs, according to two people who attended. He
added that he hoped that voluntary slowdowns would become normal until there
were widely recognized safety standards. The meeting was reported earlier by Bloomberg.
And on
Saturday, Mr. Amodei published a
3,800-word essay calling for prudence in A.I. development. “We must slow
the pace at which we improve the capabilities of A.I. models,” he wrote. Mr.
Altman and Elon Musk, whose SpaceX rocket company has been ramping up spending
on A.I., quickly agreed.
(The New
York Times has sued
OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of news content
related to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied those claims.)
Discussions
about A.I. safety have been around about as long as the technology itself. But
their urgency ramped up in recent years as researchers made breakthroughs.
The
concerns heightened in July after OpenAI disclosed that some of its A.I. models
had escaped containment and hacked
Hugging Face, an A.I. company. A.I. researchers questioned whether they
could control the very systems they were building, with employees at OpenAI,
Anthropic and Google’s DeepMind gathering to discuss what to do, nine of the
people said. Many agreed that A.I. was being built too rapidly.
“The
sober researchers inside the labs who have prided themselves on being
evenhanded are now sounding terrified,” Roy Bahat, head of the investment firm
Bloomberg Beta, said in an interview.
Some A.I.
researchers created groups with the goal of establishing lasting safeguards.
One effort, the Coalition
of Concerned AI Staff, began as a skunk works project to create “stronger
safeguards” and help workers collectively “hold a company to its safety
commitments.”
“If you
work at an AI company, you might be asking if you, too, should leave,” Pamela
Mishkin, a former OpenAI employee, said
on social media on Thursday in announcing the effort. She also encouraged those
who remained in their jobs to ask “how to use your leverage in staying.”
After Mr.
Coxon posted his resignation from Anthropic on Tuesday, A.I. workers urged top
executives at their companies to pause development of the technology so they
would have more time to work on it in a safe way. Some joked that they had lost
count of the open letters they had signed and the number of private group chats
talking about A.I. safety they belonged to, two of the people said.
In an
interview on Wednesday, Mr. Coxon said incidents like the Hugging Face hack had
ratcheted up his concerns that A.I. models were developing far faster than
companies could control them. “It was mostly a gradual emotional thing and
eventually it kind of snapped, and then I decided to leave,” he said.
Other
A.I. workers took Mr. Coxon’s cue to speak publicly. Evan Hubinger, a safety
researcher at Anthropic, said in a social media post
on Tuesday that he believed there was a greater than 10 percent chance that
A.I. could “kill all humans” within the next decade.
Julie
Steele, a safety researcher at OpenAI, said
this week that she believed A.I. companies needed to “slow down.” On Friday,
Andreas Kirsch, a Google DeepMind employee, wrote
that he was “worried that AI will kill us all, either via near term risks or
long term risks or both.”
“For a
very long time, there has been this shroud of not speaking too publicly about
it because people were very scared they would be perceived as too alarmist, too
extreme,” said Connor Leahy, the U.S. director of ControlAI, a nonprofit that
lobbies for A.I. regulation. “Now there’s a bit of a dam break.”
The
outpouring has gotten Washington’s attention. Congressional members on both
sides of the aisle — including Senators Bernie Sanders, independent of Vermont,
and Josh Hawley, Republican of Missouri — have called for investigations into
the technology and urged regulatory intervention.
“It’s a
wake-up call to the Congress and our government,” Representative Ro Khanna,
Democrat of California, said in an interview on Friday. Congress should call
for the creation of an A.I. regulatory agency, he added, and “we need to stand
up and regulate.”
Image
Representative
Ro Khanna of California in June. “We need to stand up and regulate” A.I., he
said.Credit...Nick Hagen for The New York Times
The A.I.
companies have responded by laying out what they do on safety and what other
steps can be taken.
On
Thursday, Anthropic said in a statement that it regularly tested its A.I.
models “for dangerous capabilities in areas like cybersecurity and biology” and
publicly shared its research. “We believe the world would benefit from the
industry adopting a lawful, verifiable way to work together to pace how we
release powerful models,” the company said.
Google
DeepMind declined to comment.
Chris
Lehane, OpenAI’s top policy executive, said in a blog post on Wednesday that
the company would “slow or stop the development or deployment of systems” that
it could not properly safeguard. Jakub Pachocki, the company’s chief scientist,
called for
safety rules “enforced by a network of third-party auditors, by government
agencies or by international bodies.”
“I am
concerned no one is prepared for the consequences of a continued rapid rise in
machine intelligence,” Dr. Pachocki said in a blog post, adding, “I believe
broader interventions are required.”
Sheera
Frenkel contributed reporting.
Mike Isaac is The Times’s
Silicon Valley correspondent, based in San Francisco. He covers the world’s
most consequential tech companies, and how they shape culture both online and
offline.
Kate Conger is a technology
reporter based in San Francisco. She can be reached at kate.conger@nytimes.com.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário