Some
in Silicon Valley Are Questioning the Calls for an A.I. Slowdown
The
debate over the safety of artificial intelligence grew personal as key tech
leaders said calls for government regulation were self-serving and misplaced.
OpenAI
offices in San Francisco. Sam Altman, the company’s chief executive, agreed
with the Anthropic chief’s call to slow down artificial intelligence
advancements.Credit...Lucas Foglia for The New York Times
By Kalley Huang and Mike Isaac
Reporting
from San Francisco
Sept. 13,
2026
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/13/technology/silicon-valley-ai-slowdown.html
It took
just a few hours over the weekend for well-known Silicon Valley figures to push
back on calls by leading artificial intelligence companies to slow down the
development of A.I. and to more tightly regulate the technology.
On
Saturday, Dario Amodei, Anthropic’s chief executive, said
in an essay that A.I. was advancing too quickly for researchers to continue
building it safely. He proposed that independent auditors monitor A.I. labs’
safety work and that regulators allow the labs to work together to coordinate
safety standards.
Although
they appeared to differ on what should be done about it, Sam Altman, OpenAI’s
chief executive; Elon Musk, SpaceX’s chief executive; and Demis Hassabis,
Google DeepMind’s chair, all said they agreed on the need for a slower pace.
But other
technology industry leaders were quick to question Dr. Amodei’s motivations and
whether he was sensationalizing the risks of A.I. to make it harder for other
companies to compete with leading A.I. companies.
“Stop
pretending the motivation to slow down is purely altruistic,” said David Sacks,
a technology adviser for President Trump and the White House’s former A.I. and
crypto czar, in a social media post.
The
criticism of the calls for a slowdown highlighted a deep divide between people
who believe the government should police A.I. and others who believe regulatory
intervention would crush competition.
Worries
about the safety of A.I. gained wider attention in recent weeks as details
emerged about how A.I. built by Anthropic’s top competitor, OpenAI, went rogue
and hacked another company. And several days ago, one of Dr. Amodei’s own
employees quit his job and began a public pressure campaign to draw attention
to the risks of A.I.
But a
number of tech industry leaders, including several who have been advising the
Trump administration on tech policy, believe those concerns are overblown.
Mr.
Sacks, a frequent critic of Dr. Amodei, questioned why tech companies needed
government intervention to slow down their A.I. development when nothing was
stopping them from doing just that — particularly as they pursued a wildly
ambitious goal to create so-called superintelligence, or A.I. that is far more
intelligent than humans.
“The
easiest way not to build superintelligence is for you to agree not to build
it,” he added. “Demanding your preferred regulatory framework as the price of
that will look like blackmail of the public and the political system.”
Image
Dario
Amodei’s call to slow down A.I. was met with both agreement and
pushback.Credit...Bhawika Chhabra/Reuters
Satya
Nadella, the chief executive of Microsoft, said his company supported proposals
like independent auditors and “broader efforts to develop the mechanisms to
make this more than just talk” in
a social media post on Sunday.
“We also
need to accelerate and spread the benefits of A.I., such that they are diffused
broadly across countries, communities, and companies,” Mr. Nadella said. “The
key is that this cannot be controlled by a handful of entities, but must have
broad representation,” he added.
(The New
York Times has sued
OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of news content related
to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied those claims.)
For
years, the people most concerned about A.I. safety have often been the
executives and employees of A.I. labs such as Anthropic. They’re developing
A.I., they often say, because progress is inevitable and they are the
researchers best suited to build it with safety in mind. That has opened those
safety-conscious A.I. developers to aggressive criticism.
“Should a
handful of select, market-dominant A.I. companies from Silicon Valley get to
define the rules and safety standards of a generational technology for the
entire world?” said Aidan Gomez, the chief executive of the Canadian A.I.
start-up Cohere, in an essay on Sunday.
“These
oligopolies are now requesting to bend competition rules and be permitted to
dictate the terms for everyone else,” he added. “A wolf in sheep’s clothing, a
cartel by any other name.”
Dr.
Amodei suggested in his essay that A.I. companies accept scrutiny of their
products by “embedded evaluators” from third-party organizations. But critics
questioned whether Anthropic had too many ties to two organizations mentioned
by Dr. Amodei, the nonprofit groups METR and Redwood Research.
“If we’re
going to regulate, it can’t be anyone they know, and they can’t write the
rules,” said Bill Gurley, a venture capitalist and vocal critic of the leading
A.I. companies.
Even
before Dr. Amodei’s essay, some in Silicon Valley argued that A.I. labs’ safety
concerns were self-serving. At a conference in San Francisco last week, Jensen
Huang, Nvidia’s chief executive, said A.I. labs were emphasizing security
issues because they planned to introduce cybersecurity products.
“What
better way to create demand than to create a problem?” Mr. Huang said. “Who
doesn’t want their market to be hysterical about their product and line up
around the corner for it?”
On
Saturday, Clément Delangue, the chief executive of Hugging Face, the company
hacked by OpenAI’s technology, said in
a social media post that A.I. safety would not “be solved behind the closed
doors of a handful of frontier labs.” Nvidia agreed
to buy Hugging Face earlier this month for $12.9 billion.
A number
of lawmakers in Washington appeared sympathetic to Dr. Amodei’s concerns. But
just like many in Silicon Valley, they seem reluctant to embrace regulation.
“If
developers of A.I. want to slow down development of their product they are free
to do so,” said Senator John Cornyn, Republican of Texas, in a
social media post on Sunday. “One thing is for sure: their competitors
won’t, including our nation’s adversaries.”
During a
news conference in Ireland on Sunday, Mr. Trump said that the United States
was “leading China in A.I.” and that he wanted to “keep it that way.”
“We can
put guard rails, we can do this and that, but I think you have a lot of
negative forces that are bringing it up,” Mr. Trump said. “They’re bringing up
things that won’t happen, but whoever wins with A.I. wins.”
Kalley Huang is a Times
reporter in San Francisco, covering Apple and the technology industry.
Mike Isaac is The Times’s
Silicon Valley correspondent, based in San Francisco. He covers the world’s
most consequential tech companies, and how they shape culture both online and
offline.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário