News
Analysis
The
Message Behind Trump’s Threats of ‘Economic Warfare’ Against Iran
President
Trump’s threats of an “economic D-Day” carry a clear signal to Iran that he
does not want to go back to war.
Anton
Troianovski Alan Rappeport
By Anton
Troianovski and Alan Rappeport
Aug. 20,
2026
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/20/world/europe/trump-iran-economy-sanctions-threats.html
Treasury
Secretary Scott Bessent tried to reassure investors worried about the pressure
campaign on Iran on Thursday, declaring that a resumption of “large-scale”
fighting was unlikely.
The
problem for the Trump administration is that Iran was also listening.
President
Trump this week promised an “economic D-Day” against Iran, a “crushing”
operation to “cripple” Iran. The U.S. clampdown is formidable, a combination of
wartime destruction, a naval blockade and sanctions that have already put the
Iranian economy under more pressure than its regime has experienced in decades.
But
between the lines of the administration’s threats was a signal that Mr. Bessent
made as clear as ever on Thursday: Mr. Trump does not want to go back to war
right now. The president is waging an economic campaign against Iran having
already spent weeks bombing the country earlier this year, and having stepped
back from multiple threats since then to resume the violence.
As a
result, experts say, Mr. Trump is stuck in a conflict with limited leverage, a
demonstrated vulnerability and an emboldened adversary. Even as Iran reels from
shortages and inflation, Mr. Trump is likely to increasingly feel the pressure
of the approaching midterm elections in the shadow of an unpopular war and high
gas prices. It is a dangerous combination, experts say, that could prompt Iran
to sense American weakness and lash out.
“They
read him now as not wanting to escalate militarily,” Dennis B. Ross, a former
Middle East negotiator for presidents of both parties, said of Iran’s leaders.
“That creates an incentive for them to show that they may escalate militarily.”
Mr.
Bessent told CNBC on Thursday that the Treasury Department would hold a news
conference about the new measures targeting Iran next Monday. He said traders
had been wrong to bid up the price of oil in response, given that the
administration’s new economic threats were a sign there would not be an
immediate return to full-scale bombing.
“If we
are doing the maximum economic pressure, then that means that likely there will
not be a large-scale kinetic restart,” Mr. Bessent said. “But I would
emphasize, that is for now.”
Mr. Trump
announced his upcoming “economic D-Day” against Iran in a social media post
Wednesday evening, warning of “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an
unprecedented scale.”
“These
maniacs are on the ropes, and these HISTORIC MEASURES will cripple them and
their ability to project terror worldwide,” Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social.
Among the
challenges for Mr. Trump is that he has repeatedly threatened Iran with
large-scale destruction, only to pull back from the threat. He spoke in June
about his fear of an extended war pushing the United States into an economic
“depression.” And polls show the Iran war to be widely unpopular — even,
increasingly, among Republicans — creating a political Achilles’ heel for Mr.
Trump as a conflict he described as a weekslong “little excursion” nears its
six-month mark.
Iran’s
regime has shown in recent months that it can withstand the large-scale death
and destruction meted out by American and Israeli bombs, as well as impose
costs on the United States by, among other things, attacking oil tankers in the
Strait of Hormuz. U.S. gasoline prices remain more than a dollar a gallon
higher than they were before the start of the war, U.S. military bases in the
Persian Gulf have been severely damaged, 18 American service members have been
killed and munitions have run low. Along the way, a deal to end the war has
remained elusive — even in terms of a full reopening of the strait.
The
Iranian resilience and retaliation appear to have pushed Mr. Trump to rely on
economic pressure to try to force Iran’s hand. Analysts note that the
administration has already imposed extraordinary pain on Iran’s economy, with
Mr. Trump’s naval blockade compounding the damage done by this spring’s bombing
campaign.
A new
escalation came on Wednesday when the United Arab Emirates, a crucial economic
partner across the Persian Gulf from Iran, said it would halt all trade and
financial transactions with the country.
Iran’s
most important financial lifeline is China, which buys most of Iran’s oil.
“China is
the indispensable piece” of an economic pressure campaign against Iran, said
Miad Maleki, a senior fellow at the hawkish Foundation for Defense of
Democracies think tank in Washington who previously worked on sanctions policy
at the Treasury Department.
“No
substitute can absorb Iranian crude at China’s scale,” Mr. Maleki added in a
text message.
But Mr.
Trump has worked to improve his relationship with Xi Jinping, the Chinese
leader, who is expected to meet Mr. Trump in Washington on Sept. 24. Analysts
said they anticipate that the Trump administration will be cautious in
pressuring China, especially given the upcoming summit, leaving open the
question of just how much more severe the U.S. economic campaign against Iran
can become.
Mr.
Bessent told CNBC that the administration’s conversations with China on the
matter would remain private.
“Iran has
been under comprehensive sanctions for years,” said Edward Fishman, senior
fellow and director of the Maurice R. Greenberg Center for Geoeconomics at the
Council on Foreign Relations. “The only major thing left to do is aggressively
target Iran’s trading partners — above all, China.”
He added:
“I’m skeptical Trump is willing to risk instigating an economic war with China
right now.”
Then
there is the question of how Iran would respond under severe financial strain —
especially given the widespread recognition that Mr. Trump wants to avoid going
back to war.
Mr. Ross,
the former Mideast envoy, said Iran could be expected to look for a way to put
fresh military pressure on the United States or its Gulf allies. And that
expectation, in turn, highlights the uncertainty over Mr. Trump’s longer-term
strategy as gas prices stay high, the midterms loom and munitions stocks remain
low.
“I’ve not
seen, throughout this process, the ability to think beyond the immediate next
step,” Mr. Ross said of the administration’s approach to Iran. “They’re playing
checkers. They’re not playing chess.”
Anton
Troianovski writes about American foreign policy and national security for The
Times from Washington. He was previously a foreign correspondent based in
Moscow and Berlin.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário