Trump’s
Ballroom Is Rising at Breakneck Speed: 20 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week
Although
the fate of the ballroom is tied up in court, the Trump administration argues
that the project is too far along to be stopped now.
Luke
Broadwater Ann E. Marimow
By Luke
Broadwater and Ann E. Marimow
Luke
Broadwater covers the White House and Ann E. Marimow covers the Supreme Court.
They reported from Washington.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/18/us/politics/trump-ballroom-construction.html
Aug. 18,
2026
With the
fate of his ballroom tied up in court, President Trump is racing against the
clock.
He has
enlisted a team of 250 workers to push ahead with construction 20 hours a day,
seven days a week to complete as much work as quickly as possible. This week,
there are plans to install one million pounds of rebar and pour 3,000 cubic
yards of concrete for a project that is now two-thirds complete, the
administration said in a court filing.
Now, with
the matter pending before the Supreme Court, the Trump administration is making
a practical appeal to the justices: The ballroom is simply too far along to be
stopped now.
“His
strategy clearly is to change the reality on the ground so that instead of
preserving the status quo, those who rightly invoke the law against what he’s
doing are put in a position of having to undo something that is already a fait
accompli,” said Laurence H. Tribe, an emeritus university professor of
constitutional law at Harvard.
For
years, Mr. Trump has argued that the White House should have its own ballroom,
saying it was a matter of prestige on the world stage. A ballroom, he said,
would allow officials to hold big events for special guests without needing to
erect a tent on the South Lawn.
In recent
months, as preservationists and other critics have tried to halt or at least
slow down the project, Mr. Trump has offered a new justification: national
security. Essentially, Mr. Trump is treating the ballroom and the military
bunker underneath it as one and the same.
The
bunker — officially known as the Presidential Emergency Operations Center, or
PEOC — was built during World War II beneath what was once the East Wing, which
Mr. Trump tore down last year to make way for his ballroom.
Now, he
speaks about the two projects in the same breath.
After an
armed man rushed the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in April,
for example, Mr. Trump said on social media that the mayhem had proved the need
for “the Militarily Top Secret Ballroom currently under construction at the
White House.”
Mr. Trump
demolished the East Wing last October without seeking any approvals or
submitting construction or demolition plans to Congress. While he did bring the
project before two review panels whose leaders he had appointed, Mr. Trump has
continued to change the plans from the designs they authorized.
Several
federal court rulings have found that the president exceeded his authority by
moving ahead without congressional approval, but the decisions have been paused
pending appeals — which means the construction can go on at least until Friday,
when an appeals court order to halt the aboveground construction goes into
effect.
Last
week, the Trump administration told the Supreme Court the president was adding
flashy golden seals on the outside of the ballroom, a design element that was
never submitted to the Commission of Fine Arts.
Joshua
Fisher, the director of White House management and administration, told the
court that a concrete-and-steel superstructure had already been built that
stretches five stories deep and 70 feet high.
Mr.
Fisher said 80 percent of the rebar for the project had been placed, and the
concrete poured.
He said
$335 million of the $400 million needed for the project had been raised from
private donors. He estimated the construction was 65 percent complete.
Mr.
Fisher said that the ballroom’s columns were being carved by renowned Italian
artists, and that the building would be sturdy enough to withstand a nuclear
blast.
“Given the
current progress, the superstructure is beyond the point of return,” Mr. Fisher
wrote. He added that even if the Supreme Court ordered the plans for the
building altered or the building taken down, “there would be no way to do so.”
The
message was clear: The ballroom cannot be undone.
But in a
filing on Tuesday, the preservationists challenging the project told the
justices that the administration was trying to “outrun judicial review” by
suggesting that it was too late to stop the construction.
“They tell
this court that because the ballroom is being built with the type of concrete
used ‘in nuclear power plants,’ it will soon be ‘virtually impossible to
deconstruct,’” according to the filing.
Lawyers
for the National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States, a
nonprofit chartered by Congress to guard America’s historic buildings, said the
administration had intentionally accelerated construction “in an effort to put
their illegal ballroom” beyond judicial intervention.
They have
pointed to the Constitution and several federal laws that state Congress must
approve such a project. One federal law says, “A building or structure shall
not be erected on any reservation, park or public grounds of the federal
government in the District of Columbia without express authority of Congress.”
Lower
court judges have sided with the preservationists, ruling that Congress must
first sign off on the expansion and renovation of the White House complex.
“Efforts to
foil judicial review and arrogate Congress’s exclusive powers should not be
rewarded with a stay that allows petitioners to complete a ballroom they lacked
any authority to commence in the first place,” said the trust’s lawyers, led by
Thaddeus A. Heuer.
In its
filing on Tuesday, the trust suggested that the Supreme Court temporarily halt
the aboveground work and then quickly schedule oral arguments for October or
November to formally decide whether the project can proceed. If the justices do
not press pause now, the trust said, the project is on track to be
substantially finished this fall and it will be too late.
D. John
Sauer, the solicitor general, has argued that the ballroom is inextricably
linked to the broader national security needs of the White House complex. He
said the structure is built with hardened concrete, steel and rebar; protective
missile-resistant columns, roofs and beams; droneproof ceilings and roofs; and
bullet-, ballistic- and blastproof glass. It includes bomb shelters,
state-of-the-art hospital and medical facilities, protective partitioning
between all areas of the building, top secret military structures and
equipment, military-grade venting, a single integrated air conditioning and
heating system, sniper nests and a drone port on top.
Mr. Sauer
has also pushed back on the assertion in the unfavorable appeals court ruling
that Mr. Trump is a temporary tenant, not the owner, of the White House. “The
president of the United States of America is not a tenant, but rather the sole,
elected head of the executive branch,” he wrote, adding that other presidents
had taken steps to renovate the White House.
The
Supreme Court’s conservative majority has often been receptive to the Trump
administration’s efforts to expand presidential power, but it has also ruled
against some of Mr. Trump’s signature initiatives. The justices are expected to
issue an order before the appeals court ruling that would halt construction
takes effect on Friday.
Kimberly
Wehle, a law professor at the University of Baltimore, said that Mr. Trump had
been pushing to expand the powers of the presidency for years, and that
attempting to construct a massive new building on White House grounds without
lawmakers’ approval is his latest step.
“It’s so
symbolic that he literally bulldozes the White House and says, ‘What are you
going to do about it?’” she said. “They’re making this general generic argument
that ‘I’m the president, so it’s national security, I can do whatever I want.’
That is a very steep, slippery slope into unlimited power in the presidency.”
Luke
Broadwater covers the White House for The Times.
Ann E.
Marimow covers the Supreme Court for The Times from Washington.



Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário