sexta-feira, 9 de outubro de 2026

Labour wins Holborn and St Pancras byelection; Polanski ‘absolutely’ intends to remain Green party leader – UK politics live

 



Labour wins Holborn and St Pancras byelection; Polanski ‘absolutely’ intends to remain Green party leader – UK politics live

Sagal Abdi-Wali defeats Green party leader Zack Polanski to retain the Holborn and St Pancras seat for Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2026/oct/09/holborn-st-pancras-byelection-result-zack-polanski-sagal-abdi-wali-uk-labour-green-party-uk-politics-latest-news?page=with%3Ablock-6ac896828f08c29e8718c3ac#block-6ac896828f08c29e8718c3ac

 

03.46 BST

Labour wins byelection after Greens fall short

Here’s a fuller rundown on Labour’s win in the Holborn and St Pancras byelection that has been a high-stakes battle for the left of British politics.

 

The byelection, called after the former prime minister Keir Starmer resigned from the seat in September, was considered a two-horse race between the Labour candidate, Sagal Abdi-Wali, and the Green party leader, Zack Polanski.

 

Abdi-Wali recieved 12,292 votes to Polanski’s 8,928, Sammy Gecsoyler reports.

 

Turnout was 38.7%, the lowest for any byelection held in England during this parliament and 15.4% down from 2024.

 

The Greens conceded defeat shortly before the result was announced, with a party spokesperson saying “taking the fight to Labour in one of its safest seats shows just how far the Greens have come”.

 

Labour’s victory will be a relief for Andy Burnham in his first big electoral test as prime minister, and reinforces polling that shows he has recovered some public support lost by Starmer, his predecessor in Downing Street.

 

Updated at

03.49 BST

14m ago

08.49 BST

Here is an extract from Prof Sir John Curtice’s assessment of the Holborn and St Pancras byelection in an article for the Times.

 

With 45 per cent of the vote, Labour was much further ahead of the Greens, on 33 per cent, than they had been in May. Yet, Labour’s tally was still four points down on the 49 per cent Sir Keir won in 2024 — a figure that, as in many constituencies with a substantial Muslim population, was well down on the 66 per cent the party won locally in 2019.

 

In short, the result confirmed that, while it is enjoying a substantial recovery from the nadir to which the party fell in the final months of Sir Keir’s tenure, Labour still has significant ground left to recover before it is in a position where it might win another Commons majority.

 

Curtice also points out that the results confirm that Restore Britain is a problem for Reform UK. (See 6.15am.) The Conservative party came third, but Reform UK would beaten the Tories if its candidate had also had just half the votes that went to Restore.

 

28m ago

08.35 BST

And this is what Bridget Phillipson, the Labour party chair, told Times Radio about the byelection result.

 

I think it demonstrates that Labour’s message of hope is really cutting through, that people don’t just want parties like Labour to talk about the progressive change this country needs but they want to see it delivered in action, and that’s what we’re focused on every day as a Labour government.

 

The things that really matter to people about the cost of living, about issues around homelessness as Sagal [Abdi-Wali] was talking about.

 

In Sagal we had a fantastic candidate who really resonated with the public, backed up by Labour’s clear message of hope and I couldn’t be more pleased.

 

32m ago

08.30 BST

Bridget Phillipson, the Labour party chair, told Sky News that the Holborn and St Pancras byelection result showed that Andy Burnham had “got off to an incredibly strong start” as PM.

 

36m ago

08.27 BST

Holborn and St Pancras byelection loss will disappoint Greens, but there may also be relief - Peter Walker's analysis

Here is Peter Walker’s assessment of the Holborn and St Pancras byelection result. He says Zack Polanski should be relieved his result wasn’t any worse.

 

Here is an extract.

 

Polanski got just under 33% of the vote, well above anyone else apart from Abdi-Wali, a proportion which shows that in an another election, and up against a Labour party not enjoying a Burnham bounce, the Greens could still be highly competitive in seats like these …

 

It was notable that after the result, Polanski had to insist that he intended to stay as Green leader. “Yes absolutely, that’s what leaders do,” he replied.

 

While some in the Greens had questioned Polanski’s decision to contest a seat in north London, rather than east London, where he lives, his allies make the point that Nigel Farage took eight tries to become an MP.

 

Either way, the result has not made Polanski’s position any worse. Had the Green vote collapsed he would have been under very intense pressure. As it stands, he must try to reassure sceptics in the party before seeking re-election in a year from now, under the party’s policy of two-year terms for leaders.

 

41m ago

08.22 BST

Polanski plays down claims his leadership under threat, and says he will stand again for parliament

Under Green party rules, leaders have to get re-elected every two years, which means there will be a contest next summer. Asked how confident he was of being able to win again, Polanski told Sky News:

 

What I’m experiencing is the immense amount of people who are saying they’ve never been prouder to be a Green party member.

 

It is being difficult being leader of any party, particularly the Green party or a decentralised party.

 

Very often the media – and I think this is fine that they do that - talk about the Green -arty as if we’re like the other parties. But that is a different kind of party. We’re led by the grassroots and ultimately the leader is partly a primary spokesperson for the party. That is difficult. But I signed up for that difficult job, and I’m more than ready to continue.

 

Asked if he would stand again to be an MP, he replied:

 

I want to be an MP. I don’t think it’s the be all and end all. I think I’ve demonstrated over the last year that you can create change from outside of parliament.

 

But, if another seat came up in London where he had a connection, he would stand again, he said.

 

47m ago

08.16 BST

Polanski rejects claim by Caroline Lucas that he failed to show leadership as Greens debating Zionism motion

Asked about Caroline Lucas, the former Green party leader, saying that he failed to show leadership during the Zionism debate and that he should have voted (see 2.55am), Polanski replied:

 

There was a national byelection going on, one of the most important elections in our recent history. And people in that election said they wanted to see me on the ground. They wanted to see me dealing with local issues. So I did exactly that. I went on the ground and dealt with local issues.

 

In terms of me and Caroline, I think we’re actually united in making sure that we want to push this government for a two-way arms embargo to stop selling arms licenses and F-35 components to fighter jets, to make sure that we’ve got boycott, divestment and sanctions, and to push Andy Burnham.

 

Ed Miliband, the foreign secretary, has said many people were right about Gaza, but they’re still arresting pensioners for holding up cardboard signs saying I support Palestine Action.

 

Polanski accepted that Lucas was still a “significant figure” in the party, but he said people in the party were entitled to hold different views.

 

54m ago

08.09 BST

Polanski says it's 'absurd' to say 'Zionism is racism' motion antisemitic

Asked about claims from the Board of Deputies of British Jews and others that the motion was anti-Jewish, Polanksi replied:

 

I think that’s absurd. And I think it’s actually dangerous rhetoric, because we really need to separate antisemitism from criticism of the Israeli government.

 

I say that as a Jewish man, but actually the co-composer of this motion was a Holocaust survivor.

 

So I think we do need to respect that there’s a diversity of opinion amongst the Jewish communities.

 

1h ago

08.05 BST

Polanski says he agrees with 'substance' of Green 'Zionism is racism' motion, but not actual wording passed at conference

On Sky News, Sam Coates, the deputy political editor, said the Green vote in the Holborn and St Pancras byelection was broadly the same as it had been in the constituency in the local elections in May. He put it to Zack Polanski that this showed there was no evidence that Polanski was bringing “electoral stardust” to the campaign.

 

Polanski said he had been party leader at the time of the May elections. And he claimed that, in the campaign, he felt people were “very excited” by his campaign.

 

He also said the Greens had achieved their two best byelection results ever under his leadership.

 

Asked if he accepted the Green party conference vote for the “Zionism is racism” motion had been disastrous for the party, he replied:

 

I think what this demonstrated is that we do politics differently to the other parties. In other parties, [the] leadership decide the policy. They decide how everything goes.

 

Polanski said Labour deliberately chose to hold the byelection a few days after the Green party’s conference.

 

Asked if he regretted the fact that the “Zionism is racism” motion was passed, he replied:

 

I grew up in a Zionist household. I grew up with this idea of a land without people, a people without a land [the Zionist argument that, when Jews moved to Israel to found a state, there was no one else living there.]

 

But in recent years I’ve been discovering what happened to those people in the land. They were displaced. And at the moment there’s a genocide that our government is not just complicit in, but actively selling arms licenses to.

 

And so I think that is a racist ideology.

 

Asked if he supported the motion, Polanski said:

 

I would have supported the motion as amended. It wasn’t amended. So no.

 

Ultimately I agree with the substance of the motion. Where I disagree is the idea the Green party should be deciding what the future of the region looks like.

Sem comentários: