He’s the
Most Powerful Engineer on Earth. Here’s Why He Thinks A.I. Is Going Great.
Oct. 7,
2026

Credit...Loren
Elliott for The New York Times
By
Stephen Witt
Mr. Witt
is the author of “The Thinking Machine,” a history of the A.I. giant Nvidia.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/10/07/opinion/jensen-huang-ai-tech-nvidia.html
At the
recent White House tech summit, Jensen Huang, the chief executive of Nvidia,
sat in the chair next to President Trump — his literal right-hand man. Later
that day, Mr. Huang used the term “super intelligence,” just as the president
prefers. In the aftermath of this summer’s rogue A.I. attacks, Mr. Huang has
emerged as a leading skeptic of the danger this technology poses. As his
biographer, I understand why he dismisses the risk. I also worry that he’s not
seeing the whole picture.
When I
first interviewed him, Mr. Huang told me that every problem — business,
personal, whatever — is actually an engineering problem: You study the inputs,
you study the constraints and then you get the outputs that you want. While
writing his biography, I watched Mr. Huang put this approach into action. He
engineers his business to ensure that Nvidia will be the default platform in
industries like robotics and health care. He engineers his products to be
better than the competition’s. And in 2025, he began to engineer the president
of the United States.
Before
Mr. Trump, Mr. Huang didn’t show much interest in politics. Now Mr. Trump and
Mr. Huang talk on the phone often and seem to have a genuine personal rapport —
Mr. Trump even picked him up in Alaska to go to China on Air Force One. Mr.
Trump wants to be close to Mr. Huang because the president likes winners — and
Jensen Huang is the biggest winner of all. Since its inception in a Denny’s
restaurant in 1993, Nvidia has grown to become the most valuable company in
American history, even taking inflation into account.
Driving
the growth is the unprecedented data center boom behind A.I., which Mr. Huang
has termed a “new industrial revolution.” Data centers can hold thousands of
tall metal cabinets called “racks” that wire together dozens of Nvidia
microchips into a modular computing unit. A new rack, about the size of a
refrigerator, can cost around $8 million and, by some estimates, can draw more
power than 70 single-family homes. In 2026, Nvidia will net around a quarter of a trillion dollars selling this and similar
equipment.
The data
center boom has made Mr. Huang the emperor of A.I. — the other big tech
companies are borrowing money to access his products. It is a testament to Mr.
Huang’s engineering prowess that no competitors have yet managed to gain
significant market share in Nvidia’s core business of A.I. chips. Engineers
simply prefer Nvidia. These are the self-described “systems guys” responsible
for implementing A.I. at the circuit-board level.
Mr. Huang
is himself a systems guy and that informs his view of A.I. I’ve interviewed at
least a hundred GPU engineers by this point, and I have yet to meet one who was
seriously concerned about runaway A.I. On the other hand, most of the software
engineers I talk to are extremely concerned. Bill Gates recently warned that
A.I. could kill one billion humans.
The
situation is baffling: here are two groups of rational, high-IQ technical
experts looking at the same data and reaching totally opposite conclusions. It
reminds of the viral image “The Dress,” where some people saw blue and black,
and some people saw white and gold.
Here is
what I think is going on: the basis of modern A.I. is the neural net, which
draws direct inspiration from biology. In fact, a modern A.I. consists of many
billions of artificial neurons, simulated in computer code. Thus, to the
software experts, a modern A.I. looks something like a mass of undifferentiated
brain tissue, mysterious and fundamentally difficult to control.
But
that’s not how the hardware guys see it. They draw a clear distinction between
actual neurons — which are biological cells that can be unpredictable — and
synthetic neurons, which are simple mathematical models whose behavior can be
forecast with perfect accuracy. When you work from the microchip up,
maintaining control of A.I. is an engineering problem, and governed by the same
input/output constraints as any other. To the A.I. doomer skeptics, safe A.I.
is a math equation — or, in Mr. Huang’s words, just “software.”
When Mr.
Huang began studying electrical engineering in the early 1980s, microchips had
tens of thousands of components on them, and were typically designed by hand on
paper. Today they can have more than a hundred billion components, and are
designed using specialized software with assistance from A.I. Mr. Huang, at 63,
has personally managed this exponential growth in capability. His generation of
engineers built the tools to ensure that the hyper-complex microchip remains
something that humans can interpret and control.
As a
hardware guy, Mr. Huang spends more time in Asia than most Western tech
C.E.O.s. He was born in Taiwan; his native language is Taiwanese, and Nvidia is
building a satellite headquarters in Taipei. Mr. Huang is also supportive of
mainland Chinese A.I. developers. I believe this also influences his thinking,
as East Asia is much more optimistic about A.I. than is the United States. When
I do speaking events in Asia, I never get questions about A.I. risk. In the
United States, it’s the most common thing people bring up.
So
perhaps it is unsurprising that Mr. Huang believes he can make the artificial
neuron safe. From his point of view, if you can see every calculation the
machine does, right in front of you, then the machine should remain entirely
within your control. If the machine is misbehaving — well, that’s your fault.
All you need is better engineering. He knows it can be done.
Thus Mr.
Huang has dismissed all calls for any slowdown in A.I., or any regulations that
would impede development of the technology. “There is 0 percent chance that’s
going to be the end of the world,” he said in an interview with CBS News. At a Goldman Sachs conference last
month, he suggested that cyber-security concerns were a marketing tactic. “What
better way to create demand than to create a problem?” he asked. He also has
suggested that the profit motive alone will be sufficient to incentivize
companies to make A.I. safe.
Mr. Huang
has succeeded in getting Mr. Trump to parrot his talking points. In September,
Mr. Trump called Mr. Huang while he was onstage at the All-In Summit in Los
Angeles. He put the president on speaker, then held a microphone up to his
phone, broadcasting to the audience Mr. Trump’s claims that any talk of risks
to human life from A.I. was a “hoax.” “The robots are not going to be taking
over the world,” the president said, following a round of applause.
The phone
call, which had the feel of an orchestrated publicity stunt, was a public
declaration of Mr. Trump’s resistance to A.I. regulation. But where others saw
the president taking a forceful stand, I saw Mr. Huang engineering the
president. The input was shameless public flattery: in the phone call, Mr.
Huang called Mr. Trump “sir,” praised Mr. Trump’s intellect (“You know so much
about A.I.,”) and stoked Mr. Trump’s bottomless need for validation. (“Did you
hear that? Thousands of people are clapping for you.”) And the output? Little
regulation on A.I. and freedom to export some of Nvidia’s hardware to China,
and whatever else Mr. Huang wants.
This
situation worries me. Mr. Huang is the most capable individual I have ever met
— but, I fear, A.I. is more capable still. I suspect that the capabilities
exist, today, for A.I. to enhance dangerous pathogens and to shut down
electrical grids. At the same time, the science of interpreting and controlling
A.I. is years behind the science of making it smarter. At a granular level, we
can control the behavior of synthetic neurons, but technologists can’t
currently explain how these neurons coordinate to produce intelligence. That
gap in understanding is widening, and I don’t know if Mr. Huang can see it.
The
future, even in the best-case scenario, will be extremely disorienting. But
maybe it will be awesome. Maybe I will live to be 205. Whatever happens, it
will happen because of the decisions and guidance of a singular, extraordinary
man who directs the future of A.I. and much else besides. Engineering is
powerful — and today, Mr. Huang is the most powerful engineer alive.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário