Mark
Zuckerberg Takes Aim at Anthropic in Debate Over A.I. Slowdown
On social
media, Meta’s chief executive appeared to jab at Anthropic by saying that
leading A.I. labs should be focused on safety rather than improving their own
technology.
Eli Tan
By Eli
Tan
Reporting
from San Francisco
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/15/technology/mark-zuckerberg-anthropic-ai-safety.html
Sept. 15,
2026
Mark
Zuckerberg, Meta’s chief executive, took aim at rival A.I. start-up Anthropic
and its chief executive, Dario Amodei, on Tuesday amid a contentious debate
over whether to slow down artificial intelligence development.
In a
social media post, Mr. Zuckerberg said that leading A.I. labs should be focused
on safety rather than improving their own technology. He did not name Mr.
Amodei or Anthropic, but said that calls to pause A.I. development industrywide
were the wrong approach. On Saturday, Mr. Amodei called for a global A.I.
slowdown over concerns about the technology’s rapidly accelerating
capabilities.
“Every
lab has the responsibility and incentive to move at the pace required to train
its models safely,” Mr. Zuckerberg posted. “Meta has made this commitment and
other labs can do this as well.”
Debate
over the speed and potential dangers of A.I. development has engulfed the tech
industry in recent days, fueled by the resignation of a researcher at Anthropic
last week who warned that A.I. companies were “gambling with our lives.” Mr.
Amodei then spoke up about a slowdown and was joined by Sam Altman, the chief
executive of OpenAI; Elon Musk, whose SpaceX rocket company has been ramping up
spending on A.I.; and Demis Hassabis, the chair of Google DeepMind.
Other
tech leaders, such as David Sacks, a venture capitalist and adviser to
President Trump, have questioned Dr. Amodei’s motivations. They have suggested
he was sensationalizing the risks of A.I. to make it harder for other companies
to compete with Anthropic and other leading labs.
In his
post, Mr. Zuckerberg took a middle ground. He acknowledged the risks of A.I.,
but said companies are already incentivized to keep their users safe and can
slow progress on their own. He used last week’s release of Muse, Meta’s new
A.I. “agent” that can use software on its own, as an example and said his
company delayed the product’s release for several months to make sure it was
secure.
“We
didn’t call for everyone else to do this before we would,” Mr. Zuckerberg said.
“We just did it as part of our day-to-day work because it was clearly the right
thing for people and for us.”
He also
jabbed at rival A.I. labs for racing toward “recursive self-improvement,” which
is when A.I. is used to develop itself. A.I. companies should instead focus on
serving people, he said.
Meta has
been aiming to catch up in the A.I. race after falling behind Anthropic and
OpenAI last year. The company plans to release its most powerful A.I. model to
date, internally called Watermelon, in the coming weeks.
Eli Tan
covers the technology industry for The Times from San Francisco.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário