Former
Reform councillor claims concerns over 'safeguarding issue' went ignored
Joshua
Nichol
Wed, 16
September 2026 at 9:48 am CEST
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/former-reform-councillor-claims-concerns-074840200.html
A former
Reform UK County Durham councillor has quit the party claiming her concerns
over a "serious safeguarding issue" went ignored by party leaders.
Bishop
Auckland councillor Lyndsey Fox was interviewed by Sky News presenter Cathy
Newman after becoming one of three councillors to resign from Reform UK at
Durham County Council on Tuesday (September 15) - with Reform's majority on
Durham County Council now just three councillors.
Reform
has yet to comment on the councillor's claims.
Cllr Fox
said she decided to leave the party because she had "heard nothing"
back from Reform's leadership after raising the "serious safeguarding
concern" in July.
She said:
"I subsequently reported to the police and to the Police and Crime
Commissioner. There is an active police investigation and, for that reason, I
will not discuss publicly the underlying details."
Bishop
Auckland county councillor, Lyndsey Fox (Image: Durham County Council)
She
added: "Following the Sky investigation last week that aired on Sunday
night, I got a message from the leader basically offering me roles within the
council if I got more visible again.
"What
really, really kind of pushed it over in the end [is]... I read that message
repeatedly and thought, you know, he's not addressing the report that I made to
him.
"I've
heard from nobody about what they're going to do within the party, let alone
the leader.
"And
that scares me."
Her
appearance comes amid growing turmoil within Reform's flagship local authority,
where a series of resignations, suspensions and defections have reduced the
party's majority since it swept to power in the May 2025 local elections.
The
resignation follows a recent Sky News investigation into allegations of chaos,
bullying and infighting within the Reform-run authority.
Sky said
it had spoken to former councillors and others connected to the council as part
of its reporting.
.jpeg)
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário