Most of us who signed the open letter in support of former
Cambridge Professor, Jason Arday, has had the media on our case for the past
couple of days. I signed the letter. Jason's resignation seemed bound to happen
and once Cambridge University started its own investigation, inevitable. Jason
was clearly hounded by people with an agenda, particularly ones with
distasteful and discredited views on race. They in turn were fuelled by a
ravenous media which thrives on people's downfall, and other nefarious
commentators. But Jason's fate was sealed as the discussion moved from
plagiarism and his scholarship, to his character, in a way we've not seen
before. And there are plenty of accusations of plagiarism. Academia in the UK
is overwhelmingly white so therefore faculty plagiarism is going to be
overwhelmingly white. We read about these cases from time to time. I don't
recall the sort of forensic examination of every facet of the protagonist's
life as I've seen in this case. I don't recall the elderly parents of anyone
being doorsteped. African and Asian heritage professionals are over surveilled,
micro managed and investigated. This is simply a fact; report after report in
some professions, including law and medicine, tell the tale. So whereas media
presenters are trying to catch us out when they ask whether race is a factor in
this case, it is fair for me, who's worked in the UK for 40 plus years,
including as a race equality officer, to say that whilst we don't know the
facts in this particular case, we do know the uncomfortable truth that the
likelihood is high and as luck would have it, the end might well have justified
the means. But this isn't always the case! I signed the open letter when I
heard that Liverpool John Moores had cleared Jason of plagiarism. Are they
maintaining their position? Is he innocent of this? Was the problem poor
citation, or something else? Who amongst us know the facts? This sorry tale
does raise issues about the quality of the work done in some of these
institutions, including the hallowed ones, and about how autism and
neurodivergency might play out in the final analysis. If the multiple stories
portrayed as fact turn out to be fantasy, exaggeration or invention, what
caused this? Did this young man feel the need to emblish facts to fit in to
what is a high, and possibly overachievening, world? Jason is obviously a very
talented young man whatever the facts turn out to be. I hope he receives the
best support, love and care from his friends and family and can reset and go on
to use his talents. Whatever the facts are on his extra curricular activities
and on the plagiarism when things are examined, Jason has, seemingly, more
talent than most of the people celebrating his downfall. Not sure many of us
can write a PhD even with copied paragraphs, run a marathon, or have any
inclination to do anything useful for our communities. It's been interesting to
hear his bright students speak about him and credit him with their own
development. I was happy when I read about his appointment. It is rare to see a
young Black person in the space he occupied. I am sad to read about his
resignation, the confusion, the gotcha comments, and the implications for those
who seek to put their head above the parapet only to be told you don't belong
and, we'll get you one way or the other.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário