Harry and
Meghan See Their California Dreams, and Riches, Fade Away
Like so
many others before them, Prince Harry and Meghan arrived in Hollywood with big
plans. They are leaving with their star power fading.
Nicole
Sperling Shawn Hubler
By Nicole
Sperling and Shawn Hubler
Reporting
from Los Angeles
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/22/us/meghan-harry-hollywood-uk-move.html
Aug. 22,
2026
It began
with such high hopes.
The Duke
and Duchess of Sussex landed in Hollywood in 2020, flush with a
multimillion-dollar Netflix deal and a promise that the duo, scorned by the
royal family, would make a slew of inspirational programming.
Two years
later, “Harry & Meghan” the Netflix six-part docuseries on the couple’s
departure from Britain, generated 23.4 million views in its initial release,
immediately topping the company’s charts as the most watched ever for the first
four days of a documentary. In total, the program has garnered 70 million views
since its debut.
Nothing
else Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, ever made for the service — whether it
was “Live to Lead,” a seven-episode interview show with world leaders, or
“Polo,” a docuseries about the sport — reached such heights.
In 2025,
the Netflix deal was not renewed. A similarly lofty agreement at Spotify also
fell short of expectations.
And as
Americans asked this week why the couple was leaving their West Coast idyll,
Hollywood observers pointed to one of the most enduring themes in the history
of Southern California: show business aspirations that failed.
“There
has always been this aura here, this magical thinking,” said Leo Braudy, a Los
Angeles cultural historian and the author of “The Frenzy of Renown: Fame and
Its History.” “Everybody thinks, ‘I’m beautiful,’ or ‘I’m handsome.’ Everybody
thinks, ‘If those people can make it in Hollywood, so can I.’”
But most
people don’t make it, he said, and throughout history, even otherwise wealthy
and powerful people have mistakenly imagined that success in other fields would
automatically translate to show business glory.
“If there
was an easy path to success in show business,” Mr. Braudy said, “there would be
a lot fewer flops in Hollywood.”
The Duke
and Duchess made waves this week on both sides of the Atlantic after people
familiar with the decision confirmed that they were returning to England.
Six years
ago, the couple, after clashing with the royal family, had exiled themselves to
California, where the duchess had grown up and once had an acting career in Los
Angeles.
Settling
into a sprawling estate in the wealthy enclave of Montecito, Calif., the couple
raised two children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5.
But they
now have enrolled their children in school in Britain and timed the move to
coincide with the start of classes next month, according to sources who spoke
to The New York Times.
It is
unclear whether they will launch new business ventures or where they will live
in Britain. (They were told to vacate their official residence on the grounds
of Windsor Castle in 2023, the couple’s press secretary said at the time.)
A
representative for the couple on Friday framed their departure from California
as a short-term move.
“On the
heels of a wonderful trip with family and friends this summer, Harry and Meghan
have decided to spend an extended period in the U.K. this autumn,” the
representative said in a statement. “They are excited to have their children
spend more time in the country that’s such an important part of their family’s
story.”
The royal
couple’s fortunes began contracting when Netflix did not renew their overall
deal last year.
Tell us
about your movie and TV watching habits. 📺 🍿Which streaming services do you use,
what do you watch and why? And how has your relationship with movie theaters
changed? Share your thoughts with Times media reporters.
In its
place, the streaming giant established a much less generous pact, which still
exists, whereby they would be paid only if they produced a show or a film
Netflix was interested in airing. (The streaming giant still pays for office
space at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood for the couple’s company, Archewell
Productions.)
Separately,
Netflix constructed a joint business deal with Meghan for “As Ever,” her
nascent lifestyle brand which drafted off her television show, “With Love,
Meghan.” An accompanying endeavor would sell products like a $28 orange blossom
honey and a $14 apricot spread.
Netflix
manufactured those products through its consumer product group in a
revenue-sharing deal.
But the
show didn’t perform up to Netflix’s standards: The first season attracted 6.1
million views, the second season earned 2.3 million views and the Christmas
special had 2.6 million views.
Netflix
decided to not greenlight any new seasons and ended the brand endeavor in
March. Now all consumer goods are handled by Meghan’s own company. (The $12
blackberry jam is still available on the website.)
The duo’s
foray into podcasts didn’t go as planned, either.
In 2020,
they signed a $20 million deal with Spotify. But they only produced one season
of “Archetypes,” in which Meghan hosted and interviewed guests such as Serena
Williams and Paris Hilton.
Harry
never made anything, despite workshopping ideas with the company for a year.
(One idea, said one person close to the couple, was taste-testing hot chocolate
around the country.)
It is
unclear whether they were paid the full amount of the three-year deal,
considering they only made one 12-episode season. A representative for the
couple declined to comment. Spotify also declined to comment.
In 2023,
Jeremy Zimmer, then the head of United Talent Agency, sat for an interview at
the Cannes Lion marketing festival with Semafor, a digital news site, just one
week after the Spotify deal fizzled and defined the problem: “Turns out Meghan
Markle was not a great audio talent, or necessarily any kind of talent. And,
you know, just because you’re famous doesn’t make you great at something.”
Bill
Simmons, a Spotify executive and prominent podcaster, was more blunt. He called
the couple “grifters,” using an expletive, in a 2023 podcast after the Spotify
deal fell apart.
Meghan’s
most recent project, “Cookie Queens,” a documentary about the Girl Scouts and
their cookie sale ambitions that she executive produced, was not a huge hit at
the box office. (“CatVideoFest 2026,” a film that compiled the best cat videos
on the internet, out grossed hers.)
Yet,
according to Howard Cohen, the distributor of the movie through his Roadside
Attractions company, the movie will ultimately be a success.
Released
on only 446 screens, the film is nearing $1 million at the box office and will
be available to rent through streaming on Sept. 8. With documentaries
struggling in theaters, the movie is, in fact, the highest-grossing
noncelebrity documentary to be released so far this year.
Meghan’s
appearance at both Sundance, where it initially debuted, and at screenings in
Los Angeles and Ojai helped buoy those numbers, Mr. Cohen said in an interview.
Meghan
will also appear in the Amazon Prime movie “Close Personal Friends” that is set
to be released on the streaming service next spring. The film stars Brie Larsen
and Lily Collins and is set in Santa Barbara. Meghan plays herself in a cameo.
The
duchess is also in early talks to appear in the third season of the Netflix
crime series “The Gentlemen.” Should the deal come to fruition, Meghan would
film the role in Britain. (The second season has yet to air and Netflix has yet
to greenlight a third.)
At least
one Hollywood veteran was upbeat about their return to Britain.
“My first
thought was, smart play!” said Spencer Pratt, the reality television star who
ran unsuccessfully for Los Angeles mayor this year. “Show business in the U.K.
is booming, unlike here.”
He said
his wife, Heidi Montag, a reality television star who was a fan of Meghan’s
lifestyle show, “got all emotional” this week at the possibility that Prince
Harry might be reconciling with the royal family.
In
Britain, he said, the couple could take advantage of local tax breaks for film
and television production, which are more generous than those in California,
and use their own “palaces and castles” as backdrops.
“From a
business perspective, I think they have more potential to make content for
Netflix or Paramount Plus or whoever from England,” he added. “I personally
would already watch a season of, like, ‘With Love, Meghan and Harry: Back to
the Pond.’”
How the
couple’s new life in Britain will affect their show business prospects is
uncertain. Like many whose Hollywood dreams fall short, Harry and Meghan are
moving away but have not ruled out a return.
A
representative of Harry and Meghan said the couple’s businesses are continuing
unchanged. And they will still have a toehold in the United States, as they are
keeping their $14.5 million home in Montecito.
Nicole
Sperling covers Hollywood and the streaming industry. She has been a reporter
for more than two decades.
Shawn
Hubler is The Times’s Los Angeles bureau chief, reporting on the news, trends
and personalities of Southern California


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário