Anthropic
Researchers Raise Alarm Over A.I. Acceleration
Their
warnings echo concerns that other artificial intelligence experts have voiced
in recent months, as calls increase for a slowdown in the pace of development.
Kate
Conger
By Kate
Conger
Reporting
from San Francisco
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/09/technology/anthropic-researchers-raise-alarm.html
Sept. 9,
2026
Updated
2:10 p.m. ET
For
years, the artificial intelligence industry raced to improve its technology as
quickly as possible. Now some researchers are increasingly sounding the alarm
about the need to slow down.
Jacob
Coxon, an Anthropic researcher who previously worked at OpenAI, said on Tuesday
that he had resigned from Anthropic because “neither company is acting
responsibly.” The two leading A.I. labs are sprinting to build “superhuman
systems that can hack anything, revolutionize any field overnight, and acquire
real power and resources” without building in appropriate safeguards, he said
in a social media post.
Mr.
Coxon’s warning echoed concerns that other A.I. experts have voiced in recent
months. Some A.I. leaders have long believed that the technology could create
doomsday scenarios if left unchecked, and their concerns heightened after
OpenAI’s models broke out of its systems in July and hacked Hugging Face, an
A.I. model library.
That same
month, more than 1,300 employees at top A.I. companies, including Anthropic,
OpenAI, Meta and Google’s DeepMind, signed an open letter calling on the U.S.
government to create rules to slow A.I. development. In August, more than 100
major tech companies committed to providing their best A.I. models to
organizations like hospitals and infrastructure providers so they could prepare
for A.I.-powered cyberattacks.
OpenAI
also said last month that it would expand safety testing and slow the release
of a new model, Astra, which has powerful cybersecurity abilities.
Some
critics have argued that A.I. companies are overhyping the technology to make
their products appear more valuable. Several lawmakers said on Wednesday,
however, that they were taking Mr. Coxon’s warning seriously.
“There
are massive implications of a race towards super intelligence,” Representative
Anna Paulina Luna of Florida, a Republican, wrote in a social media post in
which she called on Congress to convene a special session focused on A.I.
regulation. “Not enough of Congress is focusing on this.”
“Safety
researchers are resigning, powerful A.I. models are breaking out of their labs,
and companies are racing ahead anyway,” Representative Lori Trahan of
Massachusetts, a Democrat, wrote in a social media post. “It’s past time for
Congress to get off the sidelines and do its job.”
While
leading A.I. labs have agreed that the government should place restrictions on
the pace at which the technology is developed and released to the public, many
companies are fiercely competing with one another and fear falling behind their
rivals if they pause.
“They are
locked in a race to get there first — they believe no one else will act
responsibly, so they must do it themselves, despite the risk,” Mr. Coxon said
in his social media post.
At least
one Anthropic employee agreed with Mr. Coxon’s assessment.
“We
really do earnestly believe A.I. could kill all humans!” Evan Hubinger, who
works at Anthropic on creating A.I. that aligns with human ethics and values,
wrote on social media. Mr. Hubinger said he believed the risk of A.I.’s
eliminating humanity was less than 10 percent within the next decade.
“I
believe Anthropic is trying its best, but we do not yet have a plan to solve
alignment for superintelligence and are not clearly on track to,” he added.
Anthropic
and OpenAI did not immediately respond to requests for comment about Mr.
Coxon’s comments. Mr. Coxon and Mr. Hubinger also did not immediately respond
to requests for comment.
(The New
York Times has sued OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of
news content related to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied those
claims.)
Kate
Conger is a technology reporter based in San Francisco. She can be reached at
kate.conger@nytimes.com.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário