The
Surprising Reasons China Is Skeptical of A.I. Safety Calls
In China,
A.I. doomsday warnings can feel distinctly Western or like a ploy to stop
Chinese A.I. companies from trying to overtake their U.S. rivals.
For many
in China, A.I. doomsday warnings feel remote and distinctly
Western.Credit...Kevin Frayer/Getty Images
By Lily Kuo
Sept. 27,
2026, 12:01 a.m. ET
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/27/world/asia/china-us-ai-distrust.html
In
Silicon Valley, the nightmare keeping computer scientists up is an artificial
intelligence so advanced that humans
cannot stop it from launching a global drone war or setting off a nuclear
bomb.
In
Beijing, the response could be simple: pull the plug, impose an internet
blackout and haul in those responsible for the rogue A.I.
After
major U.S. labs said that advanced models had escaped
their testing guardrails and hacked
into real-world systems, some tech executives and officials have warned
that A.I. poses a catastrophic threat to humanity and called for Beijing and
Washington to work together.
But for
many in China, those doomsday warnings feel remote and distinctly Western. The
idea that the ruling Communist Party could lose control over a technology is
almost unfathomable. The authorities have successfully policed other
potentially destabilizing technologies before, most notably the internet.
During the pandemic, the government showed its ability to contain major crises
by locking down entire cities and tracking hundreds of millions of residents.
“They can
immediately cut off the grid of the entire city. They can go to different
people to take away their phones. They have an intense amount of power in the
physical world,” said Afra Wang, a Silicon Valley-based tech writer focusing on
A.I. and technology in China.
“Given
this amount of control over its people,” she said, how does one convince the
party “that something like A.I. that lives on a computer is scary?”
Image
Metal
barriers set up around shuttered shops in Beijing in 2022. The pandemic
demonstrated how swiftly the authorities could lock down entire cities and
track hundreds of millions of residents with mass digital
surveillance.Credit...Andy Wong/Associated Press
In more
cynical readings, the apocalyptic warnings sound like a ploy to stop Chinese
A.I. companies from overtaking their U.S. rivals, with Chinese media reports
suggesting that American A.I. companies are using “fear marketing” to maintain
their market lead.
“In
domestic industry circles, or among the people around me, most simply tune
out,” said Jie Cai, who until recently was researching human-computer
interaction technology and A.I. safety at Tsinghua University. To many in the
industry, existential risk seems like a distant priority, he said.
“We still
view A.I. as being in a very early stage,” he said. “The focus remains squarely
on opportunity and innovation.”
For some,
A.I. doomerism, with its idea of a looming apocalypse and reckoning for man,
seems overtly Christian and especially foreign. One blogger compared Western
A.I. fears to novels like Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” and the motif that man
is punished for trying to create life, the exclusive domain of God.
“This
narrative tradition does not exist in Chinese culture,” the blogger concluded.
Liang
Fang, head of A.I. safety and governance at Concordia, an A.I. safety
consultancy based in Beijing, said that Chinese concepts of heaven or God could
also account for how differently the technology was viewed.
He said
that Chinese culture emphasized the “oneness of heaven and humanity” and the
idea that man was an integral part of nature. “All things, including A.I., come
from nature,” he said. “So technology is seen more as a companion in
coexistence than an outside force destined to bring destruction.”
President
Trump and China’s top leader, Xi Jinping, at the White House on Thursday. Some
tech executives and officials have warned that A.I. poses an existential threat
to humans and called for Beijing and Washington to work together.Credit...Doug
Mills/The New York Times
Even so,
the release of Mythos, a powerful Anthropic frontier A.I. model, and others
like it has been met in China with concern. Officials have issued new
guidelines and warnings about A.I. agents going rogue, being exploited by
hackers or used to make
biological weapons.
Officials
have drafted a cybercrime law that would require A.I. companies to monitor and
stop their models from being used to create malicious code that could be used
for cyberattacks.
The
authorities also released an update this month of China’s “A.I. Safety
Governance Framework,” a document that is a reliable indicator of future
regulation. It echoed some of Silicon Valley’s fears about “recursive
self-improvement,” or R.S.I., when A.I. systems are powerful enough to improve
themselves with little or no help from human developers and could spin out of
control.
Earlier
this month, Wang Lihong, a senior official at the Cyberspace Administration of
China, the internet regulator, said that A.I. powered cyberattacks had rendered
traditional defense systems obsolete. “High vigilance is urgently needed
regarding the risks of extreme A.I. loss of control,” she said.
Some
Chinese researchers have for years been warning about the risks of A.I.
advancing too quickly. In 2024, Pan Xudong and other researchers from Fudan
University in Shanghai found that two popular large language models by Meta and
Alibaba had shown the ability to replicate themselves, which is seen as a step
toward A.I. being able to outsmart human beings..
Image
Visitors
at the World Artificial Intelligence Conference in Shanghai in July.Credit...Go
Nakamura/Reuters
Speaking
about the paper at a conference on A.I. safety last year, Mr. Pan said he and
his co-authors “wanted to convey that such an extreme A.I. risk is no longer
confined to the realm of science fiction but is a real issue demanding
discussion and scrutiny.”
But
ultimately, in Beijing’s eyes, A.I. is like any other technology that with
careful planning can be a powerful force harnessed for the good of the country.
China already has some of the world’s strictest regulations on the industry.
A.I. produced content must be labeled. A.I. models must be registered and
approved by the authorities before being released.
While
China has extensive regulation and testing requirements, there is no legal
requirement to test for catastrophic risks like an A.I. system being used to
make chemical or biological weapons.
Chinese
A.I. companies are not as transparent as U.S. firms about their safety
measures. Not all of them publish the results of safety evaluations before
models are released. Those that do provide less detail and report less
frequently than their U.S. peers, according to Concordia, which found that only
five of China’s 10 leading A.I. companies reported the results of such
evaluations between June 2025 and May 2026.
Sarah
Sun, a Shanghai-based founder of the Open Community for AI Safety China, said
the U.S. debate about A.I’s threats had helped inspire discussion in China.
But she
noted that the Anthropic chief executive Dario Amodei’s criticism of China had
set off a backlash. In an open
letter about the dangers of A.I., Mr. Amodei said that democracies needed
to maintain their lead in the technology over authoritarian countries like
China. He called for further restricting China’s access to advanced chips and
other equipment needed to develop A.I.
“The fact
that Dario has been so hawkish was really, really unhelpful in this scenario,”
Ms. Sun said.
This kind
of messaging, she said, makes the recent warnings about A.I. seem more like
justification for holding China back than genuine concern about catastrophic
risk. And that makes it harder for people like her to raise awareness about
A.I. safety in China.
“There
are people in China who are genuinely concerned about frontier A.I. risks,” she
said, “and are interested in safety” and coordinating international responses.
Image
Dario
Amodei, the chief executive of Anthropic, delivered remarks during a session of
the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday.Credit...Dave Sanders for The New York
Times
Indeed,
online commentators in China have referred to Anthropic as “A-chu,” a
derogatory term that likens the A.I. giant to a beast. Yuyuan Tantian, a blog
linked to China’s state broadcaster, said of American tech leaders like Mr.
Amodei that “the only thing they want to slow is the pace at which others catch
up.”
Zhou
Hongyi, an influential Chinese cybersecurity executive, has said the solution
is not to slow down but to accelerate one’s defensive capabilities with A.I.
“Use A.I. to defeat A.I.,” he said in a video posted online last week. “If you use A.I. to
attack, I will use A.I. to defend. If you deploy swarms of intelligent agents,
I will counter with security agents.”
In an online
post earlier this month, an engineer for the Chinese A.I. start-up DeepSeek
said that allowing Anthropic to monopolize the world’s most advanced A.I. tools
would be “no less serious” than Hitler having acquired the technology for the
atomic bomb first in World War II.
Against
this backdrop, it seemed even more unlikely that any agreement between the
United States and China to discuss A.I. safety would lead to concrete changes,
even if China’s leader, Xi Jinping, told President Trump in Washington that
they should “manage A.I. for good.”
“If the
U.S. says it’s slowing down, China won’t trust that,” said Zhao Minghao, deputy
director of the Center for American Studies at Fudan University. “If China says
it’s slowing down, the U.S. won’t trust that either.”
Pei-Lin
Wu contributed reporting.
Lily Kuo is a China
correspondent for The Times, based in Taipei.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário