News Analysis
Facing
Quagmire in Iran, Trump Turns to a Familiar Face: North Korea’s Kim Jong-un
Seven
years ago, President Trump failed to disarm North Korea and walked away. Could
the same thing happen with Iran?
David E.
SangerAnton Troianovski
By David
E. Sanger and Anton Troianovski
David E.
Sanger has covered the North Korean nuclear program since the early 1990s.
Anton Troianovski previously served as Moscow bureau chief and wrote on the
state of Russia’s alliance with the North.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/17/us/politics/trump-iran-north-korea-kim-jong-un.html
Aug. 17,
2026
The last
time President Trump vowed to halt a country’s nuclear weapons program, he held
three face-to-face meetings with Kim Jong-un of North Korea, declared that the
two men had developed a “great relationship” and walked away empty-handed.
That was
in Mr. Trump’s first term. Not only did the diplomatic effort fail, but Mr. Kim
immediately hit the accelerator on his program and today possesses roughly 60
nuclear weapons, by some estimates, as well as missiles that appear capable of
reaching the United States — exactly the combination Mr. Trump had vowed to
dismantle.
For
months now, proliferation experts have questioned whether Mr. Trump could also
end up walking away from his efforts to check Iran’s nuclear program —
especially now that he appears to be more focused on getting the Strait of
Hormuz open than on dealing with Iran’s stockpiles of uranium, which are buried
under rubble after the United States bombed them in June 2025.
Stymied
in Iran, Mr. Trump is increasingly turning his sights back to North Korea, even
though analysts see little hope of quickly dismantling that country’s growing
nuclear arsenal.
Mr.
Trump’s social media declaration on Sunday night, praising Mr. Kim and publicly
ordering Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to diminish America’s role in an annual
military exercise with South Korea, one of America’s allies in the Pacific,
appeared intended to signal that he wants to resume negotiations. A day later,
it remained unclear just how the Pentagon would scale back its role in the
11-day exercise, and a one-line statement sent to reporters by the Pentagon
press office on Monday afternoon did not provide any clarity.
“The
Department of War is actively working on executing the commander in chief’s
directive,” the statement said, using the Trump administration’s name for the
Department of Defense.
Robert
Litwak, a scholar at George Washington University who has written about the
nuclear programs in both North Korea and Iran, called the contrast between Mr.
Trump’s approaches to those two countries “an incredible tale of two rogue
states.”
“We’re at
war with Iran, a nuclear-threshold state,” he said. “But with North Korea we
are placating a dictator who can target the U.S. homeland with nuclear
weapons.”
Mr.
Trump’s outburst was also aimed at punishing the South Koreans for declining to
join in the war against Iran, a position that deeply angered Mr. Trump. It was
a point he made in the same social media post and reiterated to reporters in
the Oval Office on Monday.
The
president has also been angry that Seoul has been slow to deliver on what the
White House believes is a $350 billion promise for new investments, including
in shipbuilding. Last October, Mr. Trump visited South Korea and celebrated its
future investments in the United States, including a promised
multibillion-dollar expansion of Samsung’s chip-making plant in Texas.
“Trump
defaults back to the complaint about South Korean free-riding” on America’s
troop presence on the Korean Peninsula, said Scott A. Snyder, the president and
chief executive of the Korea Economic Institute of America, “and he uses the
security relationship as a lever to put more pressure on the South Korean
government.”
Looming
over the tensions is Mr. Trump’s inability to extract the United States from
the Iran war. He has hinted at his eagerness in recent months to move on from
that conflict and return to dealing with Mr. Kim — who indulged Mr. Trump’s
desire for leader-to-leader talks with those summits during Mr. Trump’s first
term.
President
Lee Jae Myung of South Korea said in June that Mr. Trump appeared to want to
resume talks with Mr. Kim, and Mr. Trump posted a picture of himself with the
North Korean leader on social media at least twice in recent months.
“Kim Jong
Un and I get along GREAT!” Mr. Trump wrote alongside a photograph he posted on
Saturday of their meeting at the border between North and South Korea in 2019.
Mr. Trump
followed that up with another chummy post on Monday, this one a meme showing
Mr. Kim making a phone call with military officers standing behind him. The
caption read: “Hey Donald, we cool … right?”
The North
Korean nuclear program has been a deep concern since the late 1980s, long
before Iran’s nuclear program was on the radar. In 1994, during a crisis
triggered by North Korea’s expulsion of international nuclear inspectors, the
Clinton administration debated a military strike on the North Korean facility
at Yongbyon. But it held back, and later that year former President Jimmy
Carter struck a deal with Kim Il-sung, the grandfather of the current North
Korean leader, to end the nuclear program in return for help building civilian
nuclear reactors.
It all
fell apart, and subsequent efforts to bring the North Korean program under
control failed. In 2006, the North conducted its first nuclear test, and
followed with five more, the most recent in 2017.
The next
year, having labeled Mr. Kim “Little Rocket Man,” Mr. Trump met the North
Korean leader in Singapore. After their encounter, he told a New York Times
reporter that he expected that the North would dismantle its program fast.
“It’s going to go very quickly,” he said after the summit. “I really believe
that it’s going to go fast. And it is a very substantial arsenal. There’s no
question about it.”
But while
Mr. Trump recalls the encounters fondly — during the first term, he would bring
out Mr. Kim’s letters to him and read excerpts to visitors in the Oval Office —
they went down in history as a diplomatic failure. A second summit, in Vietnam,
ended with a collapse of the talks. Mr. Trump went into the sessions
ill-prepared, his national security adviser at the time, John R. Bolton, said
later, and the effort fell apart when Mr. Kim refused to dismantle facilities
outside the main enrichment and reprocessing center at Yongbyon.
Some fear
the same thing could happen again. “Another Trump-Kim summit, which is what the
president seems to be angling for, could be a disaster,” said Joel S. Wit, a
former State Department diplomat who was involved in early talks with the North
and wrote a history of the effort, “Fallout: The Inside Story of America’s
Failure to Disarm North Korea.”
“Trump
doesn’t seem to realize that the Kim Jong-un of today isn’t interested in
better relations with the United States,” Mr. Wit said. “He is hellbent on
keeping his nuclear weapons, sending troops to Ukraine to support his Russian
ally and threatening South Korea.”
On
Monday, critics of Mr. Trump’s foreign policy quickly attacked the president
for undercutting a key alliance. Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island, the top
Democrat on the Armed Services Committee, said Mr. Trump had made “another
inane, haphazard decision” that punished South Korea
“for no reason beyond Trump’s ego.”
Victor D.
Cha, a Georgetown University professor who worked on Asia policy in the George
W. Bush White House, described Mr. Trump’s social media outburst as a symptom,
at least in part, of the president’s frustration over Iran. He noted that Mr.
Trump’s charm offensive directed at Mr. Kim came as the president tried to
maintain his hard line against Tehran, a study in contrasts in Mr. Trump’s
approach to perhaps the world’s two most vexing nuclear proliferation
challenges.
“He’s kind
of trending in two opposite directions,” Mr. Cha said. “He’s trending in the
direction of pragmatically negotiating with a nuclear North Korea. But in the
case of Iran, he’s taken an absolutist stance.”
Mr. Trump
defended his approach to North Korea in the Oval Office on Monday. Asked by a
reporter whether he was prioritizing the interests of U.S. adversaries over
allies, the president shot back: “I’m making it much safer.”
“Kim
Jong-un has always treated me with great respect,” the president added. “I
understand him. He understands me.”
But Mr.
Kim is also closely watching Mr. Trump’s war on Iran, analysts say. That war
has shown North Korea, Mr. Cha said, “that they are right to pursue nuclear
weapons to avoid a military strike.”
Eric
Schmitt contributed reporting.
David E.
Sanger covers the Trump administration and a range of national security issues.
He has been a Times journalist for more than four decades and has written four
books on foreign policy and national security challenges.
Anton
Troianovski writes about American foreign policy and national security for The
Times from Washington. He was previously a foreign correspondent based in
Moscow and Berlin.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário