Inside
the Senate G.O.P. Meltdown Over Trump’s Fund
Todd
Blanche, the acting attorney general, went to Capitol Hill to allay
Republicans’ concerns over a fund to pay people who claim government
mistreatment. It did not go well.
Michael
Gold
By
Michael Gold
Reporting
from the Capitol
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/05/21/us/politics/trump-fund-congress-limits.html
May 21,
2026
When Todd
Blanche, the acting attorney general, arrived at the Capitol on Thursday to
meet with Republicans questioning the Justice Department fund that President
Trump has said he wants to use to pay people who claim to have been unfairly
targeted by the government, he may have expected a few strident complaints.
Instead,
what unfolded in an ornate room just off the Senate floor on Thursday morning
was a two-hour blowup in which dozens of Republican senators vented their anger
and concern about the president’s fund at Mr. Blanche.
They
questioned its legal basis, whom it would pay and how the process would work.
And they made it clear they wanted no part of the plan, the product of a deal
struck between Mr. Trump’s lawyers and his own administration to use money that
Congress does not control to pay off purported victims of government
mistreatment, potentially including some of the rioters who violently assaulted
their workplace during the Jan. 6, 2021, riot.
By the
end, Republicans were so livid that party leaders scrapped planned votes on the
party’s top priority — a $72 billion immigration crackdown measure it had
planned to muscle through before Memorial Day — punting action for fear of
having to cast votes on the fund.
The
discussions started out on Thursday morning with a genteel if pointed statement
from Senator John Thune, Republican of South Dakota and the majority leader,
who told reporters before Mr. Blanche showed up that he and his members were
discussing whether to add language to the immigration bill to place limits on
the fund.
“Our
members have very legitimate questions about it, and we’ve had some
conversations about if it’s going to be a feature going forward, what it might
look like, and how we might make sure that it’s fenced in appropriately,” he
said.
It went
downhill from there.
Inside
the room, according to people familiar with the session, Mr. Blanche came under
withering questioning and criticism from the majority of Republicans about the
fund. They were incredulous that they were just learning about it, and deeply
dissatisfied with the acting attorney general’s answers to queries about how it
would work.
Several
Republicans spoke up to express worry that the fund would be used to provide
money to people who had attacked police officers during the Jan. 6 assault on
the Capitol and were later pardoned by Mr. Trump. They noted a lack of criteria
for any payouts, including a specific prohibition against paying anyone who had
been involved in violent actions.
Others
questioned the composition of the commission that would be charged with doling
out the funds. A one-page memo compiled by the Justice Department and
distributed to Republican senators said that five commissioners would be named
by the attorney general, with just one chosen in consultation with Congress.
Senators
Bill Cassidy of Louisiana and John Curtis of Utah told reporters that raised
red flags for them.
Some
Republicans, anticipating that Democrats would propose limitations on steering
money to people who had been pardoned by Mr. Trump but then accused of other
crimes, pressed Mr. Blanche on how the fund’s managers would weigh such
decisions. But many of them felt they did not leave the meeting with more
clarity than when they entered.
Senator
Susan Collins, who said she opposed the fund in part over concerns that it
would provide money for Jan. 6 rioters who had assaulted law enforcement,
exited the session saying that Mr. Blanche had not changed her mind.
Later,
she cast doubt on whether the plan could survive at all.
“It is in
real trouble — and it should be,” Ms. Collins, Republican of Maine, said in an
interview.
Not all
Republican senators were dug in against the idea. Senator Tommy Tuberville,
Republican of Alabama, defended it in a floor speech, saying: “Hundreds of
innocent patriots sat behind bars over this made-up witch hunt. Now there were
some guilty, but a huge number of them were vastly innocent.”
But even
some of Mr. Trump’s most loyal allies conceded that if nothing else, the timing
of the Justice Department’s announcement of the fund, just days before the
Senate was to begin a marathon series of unlimited votes on its immigration
bill, was a giant mistake by the Trump administration that left Republicans in
Congress in an untenable position.
“Somebody
described it as a galactic blunder,” Senator Ron Johnson, Republican of
Wisconsin, told CNN, “and I think that’s probably true.”
The
eruption over the fund took over the Thursday luncheon for Senate Republicans,
which was originally scheduled to be a tribute to this weekend’s Indianapolis
500, complete with signature food from the region and race regalia courtesy of
home-state Senator Todd Young. Among the items wheeled out at the end of the
testy session was a checkered flag of the sort waved at the end of the
world-famous race. Republicans now have to turn a few more legislative laps to
reach the finish line on their budget measure.
Carl
Hulse and Megan Mineiro contributed reporting.
Michael
Gold covers Congress for The Times, with a focus on immigration policy and
congressional oversight.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário