Updated
May 24,
2026, 12:11 p.m. ET14 minutes ago
Tyler
Pager Aaron
Boxerman Farnaz Fassihi and Julian Barnes
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2026/05/24/world/iran-war-trump
Here’s
the latest.
The
United States and Iran have agreed in principle to a deal that would wind down
the war in the Middle East by reopening the Strait of Hormuz with a commitment
from Iran to dispose of its highly enriched uranium, a senior U.S. official
told reporters on Sunday.
There
were no immediate public statements from Iran about a deal being reached. Over
the last 24 hours, Iranian and U.S. officials have offered some conflicting
depictions of what a potential agreement might contain. On Sunday, the U.S.
official said a deal had not yet been signed and was still subject to final
approval from President Trump and Iran’s supreme leader, which could take days.
The
senior U.S. official said the mechanism by which Iran would dispose of its highly enriched uranium was
still being negotiated. Mr. Trump has insisted that the United States seize the
material as part of his vow to curb Iran’s nuclear program.
Mr. Trump
said in a social media post earlier on Sunday that he had ordered his
negotiators “not to rush into a deal,” after saying a day earlier that a
preliminary agreement between the two countries was “largely negotiated.”
If a deal
was certified, Mr. Trump said, the United States could end its blockade of
Iranian ports, which it had used to pressure Tehran to reopen the strait.
Three
Iranian officials said on Saturday that a potential deal would stipulate only
that nuclear matters would be negotiated within 30 to 60 days. Like the U.S.
official, they spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to discuss
the sensitive subject.
U.S. and
Iranian officials have said any agreement would be an initial framework that
would lead to further negotiations, rather than the last word.
The
possible deal does not address Iran’s supply of missiles nor does it stipulate
a moratorium on enrichment, the U.S. official said on Sunday. Those issues
would be addressed in future negotiations, the official said. In previous
rounds of negotiations, the United States has sought at least a 20-year
commitment.
For Mr.
Trump, a deal with Iran could offer a path to ending the turmoil wrought by the
war, which began in late February when the United States and Israel attacked
Iran. The conflict has killed thousands, rattled global energy markets and been
broadly unpopular among the American public.
Here’s
what else we’re covering:
Cease-fire
backdrop: The United States, Israel and Iran agreed to a cease-fire in early
April to allow for talks on Iran’s nuclear program and the reopening of the
Strait of Hormuz. Mr. Trump’s latest announcement followed a wave of last-ditch
diplomatic efforts to stave off a return to full-scale war.
Congressional
backlash: Iran hawks, including some Congressional Republicans, slammed the
emerging agreement as effectively undermining Mr. Trump’s own war goals.
Senator Roger Wicker, the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee,
called the proposal “a disaster” and cast doubt on the notion that Iran would
“ever engage in good faith.”

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário