domingo, 24 de maio de 2026

Iran War Live Updates: U.S. and Iran Signal Move Toward Initial Peace Deal, but Details Remain Murky

 



 Iran War Live Updates: U.S. and Iran Signal Move Toward Initial Peace Deal, but Details Remain Murky

President Trump said the United States and Iran had “largely negotiated” an agreement, even as American and Iranian officials described the terms differently.

 

Updated

May 24, 2026, 6:22 a.m. ET31 minutes ago

Farnaz Fassihi Julian E. BarnesAaron Boxerman and Tyler Pager

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2026/05/24/world/iran-war-trump

 

Here’s the latest.

The United States and Iran signaled on Sunday that they were close to reaching a deal to wind down the war in the Middle East, even as many of the details of the proposal remained murky.

 

President Trump said in a social media post on Saturday that a preliminary agreement between the two countries was “largely negotiated” following phone calls with leaders across the Middle East. He added that the deal’s “final aspects” were still under discussion.

 

U.S. and Iranian officials called the agreement a framework that would need further negotiations rather than the final word. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, which has acted as a mediator, said on social media that he hoped to host “the next round of talks very soon.”

 

For Mr. Trump, a deal with Iran could offer a path to ending the turmoil wrought by the war, which began in late February when the United States and Israel attacked Iran. The conflict has killed thousands, rattled global energy markets, left many in the region bracing for rounds of missile attacks and bombing raids, and been broadly unpopular among the American public.

 

But neither the United States nor Iran released a copy of the proposed framework, leaving the contours of the deal in doubt. The future of Iran’s nuclear program, part of Mr. Trump’s case for launching the war, was unclear.

 

U.S. and Iranian officials also gave clashing statements as to what had been agreed. Mr. Trump has repeatedly said Iran must give up its stockpile of enriched uranium, which the U.S. and Israel fear could be used to build a nuclear weapon.

 

Two U.S. officials said the proposed agreement included an apparent commitment by Tehran to give up the uranium, although exactly how would be deferred to a later round of talks. Three Iranian officials said the memorandum of understanding said nothing about the fate of Iran’s nuclear program.

 

The Iranian officials said the memorandum stipulated only that all nuclear matters would be negotiated within 30 to 60 days. Like the American officials, they spoke anonymously because they were not authorized to discuss the sensitive subject.

 

Publicly, both the American and Iranian officials emphasized the concessions they hoped to secure. Mr. Trump said the deal would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway for oil and gas supplies, which Iran has effectively blockaded during the conflict, spurring a surge in global energy prices.

 

The Iranian officials said the deal Tehran had agreed to would reopen the Strait of Hormuz without any tolls; lift the U.S. naval blockade on Iran; stop the fighting on all fronts, including between Israel and Hezbollah, the Iran-backed armed group, in Lebanon; and release $25 billion in Iranian assets frozen overseas.

 

Here’s what else we’re covering:

 

Cease-fire backdrop: The United States, Israel and Iran agreed to a cease-fire in early April, to allow for talks on Iran’s nuclear program and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz. Mr. Trump’s latest announcement followed a wave of last-ditch diplomatic efforts to stave off a return to full-scale war.

 

Israeli reaction: Mr. Trump said in his social media post that he had spoken with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel. Mr. Netanyahu’s office has not commented, and it was unclear whether Israel would agree to withdraw from southern Lebanon.

 

Regional role: Leaders from Arab and Muslim-majority countries told Mr. Trump by phone on Saturday that they supported the latest proposal to end the Iran war and urged him to accept it, according to three Middle Eastern officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Sem comentários: