U.S.
Military Moves Into Place for Possible Strikes in Iran
President
Trump has given no indication that he has made a decision about how to proceed,
as diplomatic talks continue.
Helene
Cooper Eric
SchmittRonen Bergman
By Helene
CooperEric Schmitt and Ronen Bergman
Helene
Cooper and Eric Schmitt reported from Washington, and Ronen Bergman from Tel
Aviv.
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/02/18/us/politics/us-military-iran.html
Feb. 18,
2026
The rapid
buildup of U.S. forces in the Middle East has progressed to the point that
President Trump has the option to take military action against Iran as soon as
this weekend, administration and Pentagon officials said, leaving the White
House with high-stakes choices about pursuing diplomacy or war.
Mr. Trump
has given no indication that he has made a decision about how to proceed. But
the drive to assemble a military force capable of striking Iran’s nuclear
program, its ballistic missiles and accompanying launch sites has continued
this week despite indirect talks between the two nations on Tuesday, with Iran
seeking two weeks to come back with fleshed out proposals for a diplomatic
resolution.
Mr. Trump
has repeatedly demanded that Iran give up its nuclear program, including
agreeing not to enrich any more uranium. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of
Israel, whose country would potentially take part in an attack, has been
pushing for action to weaken Iran’s ability to launch missiles at Israel.
Israeli
forces, which have been on heightened alert for weeks, have been making more
preparations for a possible war, and a meeting of Israel’s security cabinet was
moved to Sunday from Thursday, according to two Israeli defense officials.
Many
administration officials have expressed skepticism about the prospects of
reaching a diplomatic deal with Tehran. The indirect talks on Tuesday in Geneva
ended with what Iran’s foreign minister said was agreement on a “set of guiding
principles.” U.S. officials said the two sides made progress but added that big
gaps remain.
Mr. Trump
has repeatedly threatened that Iran must meet his terms or face severe
consequences. But another attack, eight months after a 12-day war in which
Israel and the United States assaulted military and nuclear sites across Iran,
would potentially carry substantial risks, including that Iran would respond
with a ferocious barrage of missile strikes on Israel and on U.S. forces in the
region.
For a
president who ran for office promising to keep the United States out of wars,
Mr. Trump is now considering what would be at least the seventh American
military attack in another country in the past year, and his second on Iran.
Last June, after striking three Iranian nuclear sites, Mr. Trump declared that
Iran’s nuclear program had been “obliterated.” But now he is considering
sending U.S. military back to continue the job.
Want to
stay updated on what’s happening in Iran and Israel? Sign up for Your Places:
Global Update, and we’ll send our latest coverage to your inbox.
But
unlike the U.S.-Israeli assault last June, Mr. Trump’s objectives now are less
clear.
The U.S.
military buildup includes dozens of refueling tankers, rushed to the region by
United States Central Command, more than 50 additional fighter jets, and two
aircraft carrier strike groups, complete with their accompanying destroyers,
cruisers and submarines, U.S. officials said.
The
aircraft carrier U.S.S. Gerald R. Ford, fresh from the Caribbean where it was
part of the naval fleet pressuring the Venezuelan government of President
Nicolás Maduro, was approaching Gibraltar on Wednesday as it made its way to
join the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln in the region.
“The
president has always been very clear, though, with respect to Iran or any
country around the world, diplomacy is always his first option, and Iran would
be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with this administration,”
Karoline Leavitt, the White House press secretary, said on Wednesday.
“He’s
always thinking about what’s in the best interest of the United States of
America, of our military, of the American people, and that’s how he makes
decisions with respect to military action,” she added.
In
Israel, the two defense officials said that significant preparations were
underway for the possibility of a joint strike with the United States, even
though no decision has been made about whether to carry out such an attack.
They said the planning envisions delivering a severe blow over a number of days
with the goal of forcing Iran into concessions at the negotiating table that it
has so far been unwilling to make.
The U.S.
buildup suggests an array of possible Iranian targets, including short and
medium range missiles, missile storage depots, nuclear sites and other military
targets, such as headquarters of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
The
ultimate decision on scope of targets is largely up to Mr. Trump, U.S.
officials said.
Administration
and military officials said the United States has bolstered its defensive
assets since the president initially threatened to strike Iran in January.
At the
time, Mr. Trump had requested options to respond to the Iranian government’s
bloody crackdown on protests. But more recently, he has threatened to attack if
Iran failed to reach a deal to limit its nuclear program and said that a
“massive Armada” was heading toward the country.
Despite
Mr. Trump’s tough stance, the Pentagon last month was in a poor position to
back him up. The 30,000 to 40,000 U.S. troops scattered around the Middle East,
including at eight permanent bases, were low on air defenses to protect them
from expected retaliation.
The
additional fighter jets necessary to conduct the kind of operation Mr. Trump
spoke of were idling at American bases in Europe, and as far away as the United
States. Much of the military hardware in the Middle East accumulated over 20
years of war had since departed the region.
But over
the past month, the U.S. military has moved the necessary air defenses —
including Patriot missile defense and Terminal High Altitude Area Defense
(THAAD) systems — into the region. Both systems can intercept Iranian ballistic
missiles.
One
military official said the U.S. military could now defend its troops, allies
and assets from any Iranian retaliation for American strikes on its nuclear and
military targets, at least for a short campaign. But, the official said, the
question remained as to whether the American military is ready to sustain a
longer and wider war.
The
American buildup also includes dozens of additional F-35, F-22 and F-16 fighter
jets that have been flowing from the United States to Europe and onward to the
Middle East in recent days, according to flight tracking data and U.S.
officials.
Dozens of
refueling planes, vital for a prolonged air campaign, have also been moved
forward, those officials say.
The
second aircraft carrier, the Gerald Ford, and its three destroyer escorts could
be in the Mediterranean by the weekend or early next week, military officials
said. The Ford is likely to be deployed initially near the coast of Israel to
defend Tel Aviv and other Israeli cities and towns, officials said.
A
military official said on Wednesday that the carriers have their own defense
systems, including accompanying destroyers that can shoot down missiles aimed
at them. It is difficult to hit an aircraft carrier with a ballistic missile,
he said, if the carrier is moving rapidly.
American
B-2 bombers, which were used last year when Mr. Trump struck Iran, and other
U.S.-based long-range bombers are on a higher alert status, officials said.
Senior
national security officials have told the president that any operation that
aims to change the Iranian leadership is not guaranteed to be a success, the
officials said.
Mr.
Trump’s decision to put off his threatened Iran strikes last month — which two
administration officials said came about after military officials cautioned him
that the Pentagon wasn’t ready — may have allowed Iran to better prepare for an
attack.
“Diplomacy
may give the U.S. more time to get its military ready, but it also gives Iran
more time to plan its retaliation,” said Vali Nasr, an Iran expert at Johns
Hopkins University. “Ultimately,” he added, “the president has to weigh the
cost of attacking Iran. Ironically his approach has made those costs more
likely.”
Tyler
Pager contributed reporting.
Helene
Cooper is a Pentagon correspondent for The Times. She was previously an editor,
diplomatic correspondent and White House correspondent.
Eric
Schmitt is a national security correspondent for The Times. He has reported on
U.S. military affairs and counterterrorism for more than three decades.
Ronen
Bergman is a staff writer for The New York Times Magazine, based in Tel Aviv.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário