U.S. and
Iran Make ‘Good Progress’ in Geneva Talks, Foreign Minister Says
He said
both sides had agreed on a “set of guiding principles.” President Trump has
called on Iran to make an immediate accord or face a possible U.S. attack.
By Aaron
Boxerman Erika Solomon and Nick Cumming-Bruce
Feb. 17,
2026
Updated
12:20 p.m. ET
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/02/17/us/politics/us-iran-nuclear-talks.html
Indirect
talks between American and Iranian officials in Switzerland ended on Tuesday
with an agreement on a “set of guiding principles,” according to Iran’s foreign
minister, who said both sides had agreed to exchange drafts on a potential
deal.
The
foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, was as positive as he was vague, providing
little clarity on what had been discussed or when the next round of discussions
might be held.
American
officials did not immediately comment publicly on the talks, but one U.S.
official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private
negotiations, said the two sides had made progress. The official said the
Iranians would provide more detailed proposals in the next two weeks to address
some of the gaps between the United States and Iran, but did not provide any
specifics.
Mr.
Araghchi told Iranian state television that the talks, which were held in
Geneva and lasted about three hours, had been “more constructive” and had made
“good progress” compared with a previous round of negotiations in Oman this
month.
“We now
have a clear path ahead, which in my view is positive,” he said.
But Mr.
Araghchi said a deal was not imminent, as the Middle East remained on edge over
the possibility of an American attack should negotiations collapse. Iran has
insisted that the talks be strictly limited to its nuclear program, even as
U.S. officials have said they would push to curb the range of Iran’s ballistic
missiles and its support of militias across the region.
Mr.
Araghchi did not address those points in his comments to Iranian state
television, saying only that the two sides had reached a “general understanding
on a set of guiding principles” to continue discussions and to “move toward
drafting the text of a possible agreement.”
“This
does not mean that we can reach an agreement quickly, but at least the path has
begun,” he said.
The
negotiations were hosted at the Omani ambassador’s residence by Oman’s foreign
minister, Badr Albusaidi, who mediated the previous round of talks. A spokesman
for Iran’s foreign ministry said ahead of the talks that Omani officials would
shuttle between the two sides.
Mr.
Albusaidi said on social media after the talks that they had concluded “with
good progress towards identifying common goals and relevant technical issues.”
“Together
we made serious efforts to define a number of guiding principles for a final
deal,” he added. “Much work is yet to be done.”
Steve
Witkoff, the Middle East envoy, and Jared Kushner, President Trump’s
son-in-law, had been expected to attend the negotiations, according to two U.S.
officials who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive diplomacy.
Mr.
Trump, speaking on Monday on Air Force One, said he would be involved in the
talks “indirectly” and that they would be “very important.” He said Iran wanted
to make a deal.
The
American president has ordered a buildup of U.S. forces in the region —
including two aircraft carriers — after vowing last month to aid antigovernment
demonstrators in Iran. The Iranian government quelled those protests in a
bloody crackdown that killed thousands, according to rights groups.
Now, Mr.
Trump is calling on Iran to reach a deal to limit its nuclear and military
capabilities or face a possible attack. Last week, he wrote on social media
that he preferred a deal with Iran, but that if one could not be brokered, “we
will just have to see what the outcome will be.”
Countries
in the region worry that a potential American strike, and an Iranian
retaliation that could draw in Israel, could destabilize the Middle East and
endanger U.S. allies in the Arab world that host American soldiers.
In a
speech on Tuesday shortly after the talks began, Iran’s supreme leader,
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei responded defiantly to Mr. Trump’s orders to send a
second aircraft carrier to the region.
“An
aircraft carrier is certainly a dangerous piece of equipment,” Ayatollah
Khamenei said. “But more dangerous than the carrier is the weapon that can send
it to the bottom of the sea.”
He also
called demands to limit the range of Iran’s ballistic missiles “illogical,”
arguing that such demands interfered with his nation’s right to possess weapons
of self-defense.
“Any
country without deterrent weapons will be crushed under the feet of its
enemies,” he said.
On
Tuesday, Iranian naval forces closed parts of the Strait of Hormuz, a key
global shipping lane, for several hours to conduct a second day of naval “war
games,” according to the semiofficial Tasnim news agency.
The
Iranian government is under considerable pressure to agree to a deal. Iran’s
economy has struggled under crippling international sanctions, which helped
ignite the latest wave of protests against the country’s authoritarian
government.
Iranian
officials have argued they will not make concessions on nuclear enrichment
without sanctions relief. Iran’s deputy foreign minister told state media that
in return Tehran could offer Washington lucrative investment opportunities in
sectors like oil, gas and mining.
Last
year, U.S. and Iranian officials tried to negotiate a nuclear deal that would
end the sanctions, but Israel launched a military campaign against the Iranian
nuclear program as the talks were underway, leading to a 12-day war between the
two countries.
U.S.
stealth bombers joined the Israeli assault, attacking three Iranian nuclear
sites. Mr. Trump initially said that the U.S. bombing had obliterated Iran’s
nuclear program, but American intelligence later said that it had been badly
damaged, not destroyed.
Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who met with Mr. Trump last week in
Washington, said on Sunday that the American president believed that Iran “must
surely understand that they missed out last time” by not showing more
flexibility in the 2025 talks.
“He
thinks there is a serious probability that they won’t miss out this time,” Mr.
Netanyahu told a group of American Jewish leaders in Jerusalem, although he
added that he was far more skeptical of “any deal with Iran.”
Tyler
Pager contributed reporting from Washington.
Aaron
Boxerman is a Times reporter covering Israel and Gaza. He is based in
Jerusalem.


Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário