sexta-feira, 28 de março de 2025

Council scraps refugee centre plans after angry protests

 


Council scraps refugee centre plans after angry protests

March 28, 2025

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2025/03/council-scraps-refugee-centre-plans-after-angry-protests/

 

Plans to build a large refugee centre adjacent to the village of Berlicum in Noord-Brabant have been put on hold following protests, which included hanging pigs’ trotters from a fence at the location.

 

Councillors in Sint-Michielsgestel, which includes Berlicum, voted on Thursday against the plan because of the lack of support among local residents. The centre would have housed between 240 and 270 refugees.

 

“There is no backing for a big refugee centre among locals,” Kirk den Otter from local party SMG told broadcaster Omroep Brabant. “And the council does not have the capacity, qualities, or the money to realise multiple small ones.”

 

The GroenLinks-PvdA alliance backs the centre in principle but supported the plan to call a halt. “The upset makes it irresponsible to proceed,” local party chief Adriaan van der Maarel said.

 

Some 300 people were involved in last week’s angry demonstration at the town hall. The police were out in force but did not intervene, and locals threw eggs and smoke bombs at the building.

 

As yet, the council executive board has not commented on the vote.

 

Sem comentários: