How
China’s Leader Plans to Win the Future With A.I.
A decade
ago, Xi Jinping asked if China could master A.I. His push is remaking the
economy, challenging the United States and keeping society under control.
Credit...Karolis
Strautniekas
By Vivian Wang
Vivian
Wang reported from Beijing and Shenzhen, speaking to Chinese A.I. researchers
and entrepreneurs.
Sept. 23,
2026
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/23/world/asia/china-ai-economy-xi-jinping.html
In a
stretch of former farmland now transformed into a gleaming technology park,
China’s leader, Xi Jinping, watched two robotic hands slowly thread a needle.
What he
was seeing, he declared, would help China seize its future.
It is a
future in which artificial intelligence permeates China’s factories, hospitals
and classrooms, reinvigorating the economy through advanced robotics and
high-end manufacturing. It is a future in which China, not the United States,
dominates A.I. development, turning the technology into what Mr. Xi has called
a “lead goose” to fly the country into its next economic revolution.
To
realize that vision, the Chinese government is mobilizing the full weight of
the state.
At the
park that Mr. Xi visited, on the outskirts of Beijing in February,
hundreds of companies have set up offices to develop cutting-edge chips and
A.I. models. The city government is giving them tens of millions of dollars in free computing
power. An exhibition hall shows off their creations, including chips designed
to power nuclear missiles and brain implants that could help paralyzed patients
speak.
Mr. Xi,
during his visit, said that China’s strength lies in its ability to zero in on
a direction and follow through.
“We must
give full play to our nation’s advantage of concentrating resources to
accomplish major tasks,” he told an assembled group of entrepreneurs, researchers and
officials.
China’s
A.I. campaign is backed by enormous sums of government money. Economists estimate that state-led funds put more than $184 billion
into A.I. firms between 2000 and 2023, and last year, the government and state-owned banks pledged hundreds of billions more.
Private A.I. investment in China is far lower than in the United States, where private sources poured $285 billion into the technology in
2025 alone.
Beijing’s
approach to A.I. is distinct from the prevailing one in the United States in
other ways, too.
Many in
Washington and Silicon Valley see A.I. development as a race toward artificial
general intelligence, a still-theoretical form of A.I. that could think and
learn as well as — or better than — humans.
Chinese
officials have hardly mentioned A.G.I., focusing on more immediate goals.
China’s
population is rapidly shrinking and getting older, creating an urgent need for
intelligent robots to replace retiring workers. Poor rural residents could seek
medical care from digital avatars of top urban doctors. The authorities could
more easily know
where Chinese citizens are, what they say and perhaps even how they feel.
The
government has said that A.I.-powered tools and agents should permeate 90
percent of Chinese society by 2030, though it has not explained how that would
be measured.
Mr. Xi
has also endorsed Chinese companies’ use of open-source
models, which have helped them win users globally when leading American
companies have released closed systems.
China has
embraced A.I. despite the potential risks it poses to the Communist Party’s
legitimacy and tight grip on society.
The
technology is already displacing taxi drivers, actors and office workers,
heightening worries about joblessness and potential unrest.
Chatbots
could threaten the party’s controls on information, while advanced foreign
models like Claude
Mythos could make it easier for China’s enemies to launch complex hacking
attacks on its critical infrastructure — a threat the country’s top spy chief recently
acknowledged.
Mr. Xi is
betting that China can control those dangers.
Regulators
have imposed strict rules on what chatbots can say and banned A.I. companion
bots for children. Chinese courts have warned companies not to blindly replace
workers with technology. The authorities have also barred some leading A.I.
entrepreneurs from leaving China.
But
Beijing’s confidence in its controls, and its determination to catch up with
the United States, also mean it is skeptical of global calls to slow
the pace of A.I. development.
In
Beijing’s view, China is already fighting from behind. Washington has limited
China’s access to the most advanced chips, so China lacks the computing power
that is needed to train cutting-edge A.I. Agreeing to slow down now, in this
view, would only cement America’s lead.
The 2014
Speech That Started It All
In
Beijing’s Great Hall of the People, China’s top scientists gathered for a
speech by Mr. Xi. It was June 2014, the first time that Mr. Xi addressed
China’s Academies of Engineering and Sciences as the country’s leader.
The
attendees had submitted reports beforehand, and Mr. Xi said he had read them
closely. He said he was particularly intrigued by one report predicting that
A.I.-powered robots would soon transform the global economy. Such machines,
unlike traditional robots that repeat specific preprogrammed tasks, can use
A.I. to learn from and adapt to their surroundings. China would be the biggest
market, the report said.
That
wasn’t enough, Mr. Xi said. China should be not just the biggest buyer, but
also the top maker.
Image
Credit...Karolis
Strautniekas
“Reading
this, I wondered,” he added, “can our technology and manufacturing
capabilities keep up with the competition?”
That
speech set off a frenzy that still shapes China’s A.I. policy today.
Immediately
afterward, Pan Yunhe, the Chinese Academy of Engineering’s vice president and a
respected A.I. researcher, organized a team to design a long-term strategy for
the country, according to Gong Ke, a professor in Tianjin who leads an A.I.
research institute under the academy.
China was
well positioned to take the lead in A.I., Professor Pan wrote in a research paper shortly afterward, because its huge
population ensured that there was both a great supply of data to train models,
and great demand for intelligent products. He also wrote that China urgently
needed A.I. to address problems that the country’s rapid modernization had
created; smart manufacturing and A.I.-assisted education, for example, could
help address issues such as pollution and inequality. (Professor Pan declined
an interview request.)
In 2017,
China issued its first national A.I. plan, which, in parts, used language virtually identical to
Professor Pan’s paper. It said that China should become a world leader in the
technology by 2030.
In the
years after the plan was released, China’s A.I. sector expanded rapidly. State and private investors pumped in
money. The number of A.I. patents by China soon blew past that of the United States.
From the
start, Beijing saw A.I. as a force, like the internet, that could shore up the
party’s power. It could help maintain public satisfaction by boosting economic
growth. It could also head off potential unrest by helping the party monitor
China’s people.
Manufacturers
pushed A.I. into factories and warehouses. Surveillance companies became global
leaders in facial and voice recognition. At one point in 2018, SenseTime, a
Beijing-based company that has helped
the government police China’s Uyghur minority, was the world’s
most valuable A.I. start-up.
But
Chinese researchers were generally not focused on large language models, as
American researchers were. When ChatGPT appeared in 2022, China reeled.
Commentators who had boasted of China’s lead in A.I. asked why the breakthrough
had not come from their country.
Then,
last year, came DeepSeek. The previously unknown Chinese start-up stunned
the world by showing that Chinese firms could compete with Silicon Valley
on large language models, too. In February 2025, a few weeks after DeepSeek
released its model, Mr. Xi summoned
a group of Chinese tech executives — including DeepSeek’s founder — to a
meeting.
“It is
the right time for private enterprises and entrepreneurs to fully demonstrate
their abilities,” he said. Those gathered must “unify our thinking” and
“serve the country.”
A Recipe
for Dominance
Beijing
is not just tapping its biggest tech tycoons for that mission. State support is
supercharging individual ambitions across the country, as Hobo Liang, a
42-year-old entrepreneur in the tech hub of Shenzhen, has seen firsthand.
The son
of mathematics professors in northern China, Mr. Liang was drawn to machines
from an early age. In elementary school, he built homemade radios from spare
parts. At university in the mid-2000s, he studied electrical engineering and
decided to start a robotics company.
People
around him were doubtful. One potential investor asked Mr. Liang why China
needed robots when it had so many people. His parents urged him to apply for
stable jobs at state-owned companies. China’s high-tech sector was in its
infancy, and many of Mr. Liang’s heroes were in the United States: Steve Jobs,
Elon Musk. He even idolized a fictional entrepreneur — Tony Stark, of Marvel’s
Iron Man movies.
Today,
Mr. Liang still keeps an Iron Man figurine on his desk. But that early
skepticism feels far away. His start-up, Xeno Dynamics, which makes robotic
exoskeletons for people with mobility issues, recently moved into a new
government-built industrial park, next door to China’s leading drone maker.
Xeno has
been recognized as a national high-tech enterprise, meaning its tax rate is
reduced from 25 percent to 15 percent. It has received over $1.4 million in
government research funds, as well as multiple rounds of venture capital
funding.
Image
Hobo
Liang, co-founder and chairman of Xeno Dynamics Co. at his office in Shenzhen,
China, in 2025. His company makes robotic exoskeletons for people with mobility
issues.Credit...Gilles Sabrié for The New York Times
“We’re
beneficiaries of the entire direction — whether it’s about robots, or A.I.,”
Mr. Liang said in an interview in his office. “You have to follow the direction
of major policies.”
In many
ways, China’s playbook for A.I. mirrors the one it used to dominate electric
vehicles and solar panels: subsidies, tax breaks and research money.
A
district in Shanghai offered up to $29 million to any A.I. company that achieved
a major “breakthrough.” A university hub in Beijing said it had spent about
$580 million on A.I. last year, funding data annotation centers, labs and
housing for researchers.
In
Shenzhen, officials spent more than $6 billion on the industrial park where
Xeno’s offices are located. The district also promised to help robotics
companies find potential customers.
The
central government, for its part, has been spending heavily on physical
infrastructure. Beijing’s newest five-year plan calls for building ultra-large
computing clusters and ensuring electricity to power the A.I. boom. Officials
are also setting
up a national exchange to trade data to train A.I. models.
The
Limits of State Planning
But it
may be harder for Beijing to engineer mastery in A.I. than in electric vehicles
or solar panels.
In those
sectors, the technology was fairly developed, and the state’s role was giving
companies the financial support to edge out foreign competitors, said Cole
McFaul, a researcher at the Center for Security and Emerging Technology at
Georgetown University.
With
A.I., leadership will hinge on technological breakthroughs. Subsidies can do
only so much.
One
obstacle is a shortage of specialized talent. Another is the lack of access to
the most powerful chips. Indeed, DeepSeek’s founder, Liang Wenfeng, has said that the company
needs high-end chips, not more money.
The
government is trying to close those gaps. It has poured
more than $150 billion into a decadelong effort to develop domestic
cutting-edge chips, though that has not yet yielded major successes. It is also
working to train more scientific talent.
Still,
“those are long-term strategies, when the challenges right now are much more
pressing,” Mr. McFaul said.
Officials
have acknowledged the need to give the private sector more room. Private
companies like DeepSeek and Alibaba,
not state-owned giants, have driven China’s breakthroughs.
Image
Credit...Karolis
Strautniekas
Instead
of micromanaging research, officials have focused on stimulating demand for
A.I. Local
governments have rushed to embed A.I. in hospitals, schools and traffic
systems. Last year, Zhejiang Province organized mass
study sessions about A.I., with more than 220,000 party officials watching
a live-streamed lecture by a Tsinghua University scholar.
The
authorities have even rolled back some of their most burdensome rules.
Soon
after ChatGPT’s release, the party had proposed strict regulations on chatbots
and other generative A.I., requiring platforms to guarantee
that A.I.-generated output was “true and accurate.” After companies argued
that would be impossible, that requirement disappeared from the final rules.
Li Zhiqi,
a policy adviser to the Beijing city government, said he helped channel
feedback from companies to officials, and had proposed suggestions such as
faster deployment of self-driving cars. “The government isn’t just making rules
behind closed doors,” he said.
The Race
to the Top
For now,
the approach seems to be working. At the end of 2025, China had more than 6,000
A.I. companies, and its core A.I. industry was worth $171 billion, according to
official statistics. Chinese models now consistently outnumber
American ones on a list of the most popular A.I. systems worldwide,
according to OpenRouter, a closely watched leaderboard of A.I.
models. Even Western tech companies like Airbnb have embraced them.
Two
Chinese companies recently
introduced
models that are nearly as powerful as the leading American model, Anthropic’s
Claude Fable 5, and cost much less to use.
Robots —
the sector Mr. Xi first championed in his 2014 speech — have been a particular
success. China has more than 2 million robots in its factories, more than
in the rest of the world combined. Some Chinese researchers have argued that robots may be more promising for achieving
general-purpose intelligence than large language models — Silicon Valley’s
chosen method — because they can learn from interactions with the physical
world.
Those
rapid gains have fueled anxiety in Washington, where fears
of being overtaken by China have become the main argument against reining
in A.I. A congressional advisory group warned that China’s quick adoption of A.I. in robots and
other practical applications would generate huge amounts of new data that could
then be used to further improve its models. In July, the U.S. government
proposed restricting imports of humanoid robots, a move Beijing denounced as discriminatory.
For
people like Mr. Liang, the robotics company founder in Shenzhen, the signs of
China’s progress are already all around.
He still
admires American entrepreneurs, but he no longer looks only to them for
inspiration. He wears smart glasses from Huawei. He has hired interns from
American universities who are eager to learn from China’s robotics expertise.
“Before,
we all used American technology as the benchmark, and we’d joke about ‘C-to-C’:
‘copy to China,’” Mr. Liang said. “I think it’s the mission of this generation
of Chinese entrepreneurs to let the world know that some Chinese companies are
different.”
Siyi Zhao
contributed research.
Vivian Wang is a
correspondent based in New York, where she writes about how China's global rise
and ambitions are shaping the lives of people both inside and outside its
borders.

Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário